Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sunday Snippet: Quell the Boom

It's SDCC weekend! I love how much my Twitter and Facebook feeds explode with fun and exciting information about my favorite shows and movies. So many great pictures, quotes, and rapid-fire reports to sink into and devour—a new trailer for what to expect on the rest of Defiance, a teaser for Arrow season three, reports about The Avengers: Age of Utron, and tons of cosplay pictures, which I love to see.

And SDCC kind of launches the countdown for Dragon Con in September. I've never had the opportunity to attend, but I have so many online friends who go, I'm lucky enough to pretty much experience the whole thing vicariously through them.

Tonight's post is from Quell the Boom, a magical fantasy where my main characters diffuse enchanted bombs.

Here's the tagline:

Quinna Joltz and Efran Pendragon, experts in diffusing magical bombs, tend to let their rivalry take center stage, but when an unbalanced wizard plants devices that can bring down their entire city, they agree to work together. The adrenaline filled race finally gives them some perspective and a little bit of common ground to share.

And a preview snippet…

Quinna paced the room. "Look, Efran, I don't like this whole team up idea one little bit." She whirled around and faced him. "We might be the best at what we do, but our methods for diffusing bombs are as different as night and day." She pinned him with her gaze. "We can't fuck this up."
He cocked his head to one side. "We won't… because you and I are going to lock ourselves in a chamber for the next twelve hours and run every possible scenario." He grabbed one of the spell books from the shelf. "We'll do the incantations over and over, forward, backward, upside down, and sideways, until we have the timing perfect." He placed the heavy tome back on the shelf. "Then we'll suit up, head out, and do the job."
Quinna snorted. "It's not going to be that easy and you know it." She paced the floor again.
Efran nodded. "You're right. But as you pointed out, we can't fail." His hand shot out and halted her progress. "So here the thing—set the friendly competition aside and be willing to compromise. It's work together or lose a big chunk of the city."
She jerked her arm out of his grasp. "I'm aware of the stakes. Consider me super flexible."
He grinned. "Now those are words I never, ever, thought I'd hear from you."

I've had so much fun finding some common ground for Efran and Quinna, but even more fun making them bicker all the time.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment