Sunday, January 1, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Quicksilver Flash

A very Happy New Year to all!

Hope everyone survived the holiday season and 2017 is starting out with peace and joy.

I finished up my Great Holiday Show Binge Watch Extravaganza for the most part. Mainly single episode shows from a wide variety of dramas. I still have a couple of shows on my DVR that I'll watch after everyone goes back to school and work.

Started a binge watch of the reboot of Hawaii Five-0. After watching the Christmas episodes, I had enough interest to start the series. So far, I'm enjoying the reboot and started season two yesterday.

Looking forward to the return of my regular shows this month.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Quicksilver Flash, a novella based on a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Winsome Crown, a scientist's daughter, searches for her lost father in the wilds of the mountains. Lynx Hadrington lives alone and away from society—by choice. When Winsome stumbles onto his little piece of sanctuary, he can't deny her plea for help, but he fears the worst for her dad. Only one person has ever survived a brush with the Quicksilver Flash—him.

And a preview snippet…

Winsome bit back a curse at his stunned blink. "Argh, sorry." She turned and faced the fire. "It's been a rough week and I'm barely keeping it together." She glanced back over her shoulder. "You're a hard man to find, Mr. Hadrington."
He folded his arms over his chest. "There's a reason for that, Ms. Crown." His gaze didn't waver when it met hers. "And I don't know where your father is."
Her shoulders slumped. "You were my last hope. Can you at least tell me when you last saw him?" Wadsworth Crown loved his work above everything else… except his daughter.
Three months without a word meant something happened to him.
A battle played out over Lynx's face. Indecision, determination, and finally resignation crossed his features. An iridescent shimmer gleamed over his forearms and traveled upward to his neck before touching his chin, cheeks and forehead.
Winsome gasped. "Oh, my god. What happened to you?" An inkling occurred, but she refused to leap to conclusions.
Her father would scowl and growl if she did.
Lynx shook his head, his features returning to normal. "Nothing. And you've wasted a trip. I haven't seen the professor for almost a year." He turned away from her, yanking the sleeves of his shirt down to his wrists.
Winsome frowned. "Going all glowified is not nothing." She needed answers and she'd push to get them. "You've been in contact with something… otherworldly… haven't you?" Her father's notes mentioned a substance he couldn't identify.
Lynx whirled around, his gaze fierce. "My affliction is none of your business, Ms. Crown." He grasped her shoulders and nudged her toward the fireplace. "You can get warmed up, but then I want you to head back out to wherever you came from." He moved her coat closer to the fire.
Winsome bit her tongue. She'd done it again. Shoved her way into a blunder.
She sank to her knees, defeated. "Give me fifteen. I'll be out the door." Swaying slightly, she fought back a wave of despair.
Five weeks of travel, chasing the thinnest of leads with scraps of information, and she finally found someone who'd been in contact with her dad. Moisture pricked behind her eyelids and Winsome wanted to give the free rein to fall. But she couldn't. Lynx Hadrington wanted her to clear out. Her vision blurry with unshed tears, she slowly got to her feet and reached for her parka with a shaky hand. Head swimming with exhaustion, she couldn't seem to get her arms into the sleeves.
Lynx grasped her shoulders and turned her to face him. "Ms. Crown—"
She cut him off. "Please, call me Win. My dad's the one who stands on formalities." Lifting her gaze, his face swam in and out of focus. "And, I'm… I'm…" The words got stuck in her throat, a shudder wracked her body, and the world went dark.
Strong arms wrapped around her and cushioned her fall. Her last coherent moment before inky blackness surrounded her.

There's something about writing quest stories that appeals to me. I'm having a lot of fun with this one.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment