Sunday, May 13, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Fan the Flames (Cupid's Bow)

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. Whether you have offspring, fur babies, or play a surrogate parent role for someone, you're awesome!

My weekly television roundup is kind of jammed with goodness. I caught two episodes of Krypton and I'm completely sold on this show. I'm hoping it gets another season.

Also caught two episodes of Endeavor. Finished up the first series and started the second. I rather enjoy this show and really like the actor in the lead role of Endeavor Morse.

My DVDs this week were movies. Blackhat and Red Dawn. I didn't finish Red Dawn but I'll catch it at another time. For me, the original Red Dawn is going to be hard to top.

Finished up the first arc of Classic Who with "An Unearthly Child". I also started "The Daleks" and watched about half of the first episode. Over on CW Seed, I started the live action version of Constantine and enjoyed the first episode. I'm hoping to get through the whole season before new episodes of Legends of Tomorrow begin.

I still love Gotham. The totally batshit craziness brings me a ton of joy with each episode. I'm so happy this show truly found its footing and delivers great viewing with each new week.

Also caught some additional season six episodes of Chicago Fire and another from season five of Chicago PD. I'm a little miffed they're making a mole of one of my fave characters but I'll see how it all plays out. I truly hate Woods though. Just saying.

Arrow and The Flash both had great episodes. I like seeing the two couples work through their roadblocks. That said, I honestly can't wait to see both villains go down. I'm pretty much done with being patient.

Riverdale brought more crazy and I'm still an episode behind. I do like how much tension simmers below the surface and how quickly alliances have to be made and discarded. Kudos to Mark Consuelos. He makes me totally hate Hiram. I also have a small suspicion about who fired the shots at the mayoral debate but I'll refrain from saying… in case I'm completely off my guess. LOL

I got another episode of Blindspot in and, well, I'm trying to figure out Roman's goal. I really don't want him to be another Shepherd so here's hoping that's not the direction they're going in.

Quick mention for Ghost Squad. Caught two more episodes and seriously enjoy the hell out of this show. The emotional toll is interesting to watch and the slow erosion of trust in anything also packs a punch. Great stuff.

Brief shout out for The Sarah Conner Chronicles. Rewatched the pilot episode and, damn, I forgot how awesome that was.

Last but not least… some thoughts on Jessica Jones. I finished the second season and honestly hate Trish with the passion of a thousand burning suns. I have no idea where they'll take her if the show has a third season, but off a tall building in Manhattan wouldn't bother me one damn bit. If they can redeem her, I'd be on board, but I'm honestly not all that interested in seeing a redemption arc for her. I hate her that much right now. I do hope Malcolm and Jessica end up back on good terms and I was happy to see Jessica stop by to see Oscar and the kid. I'd welcome a third season if we get one.

And that's it for my jam-packed week in television. Tonight's post is from Fan the Flames, a Cupid's Bow tale.

Here's the mini-blurb:

A modern day cupid discovers a couple with matching auras and thinks he'll have an easy time matching them up. Right... not so much. While Jamie and Alix definitely have the hots for each other, one big obstacle stands in their way—Jamie's job.

And a preview snippet…

"Hey, Joe. I'm on my way. Got a slow start this morning."
Jamie O'Riley hated being late. And he loathed leaving voice mails when he really needed to talk to a live person. But at least he'd called in a head's up to one of his coworkers.
Known as Jammer to his friends, Jamie had a thing for punctuality. Given his profession, that sometimes seemed odd. Emergency calls ran long, shifts went into overtime, and buildings burned at no one's convenience.
Jamie gave up arguing the logic of being on time whenever possible a long time ago.
Another thing he hated? Getting roped into sitting on committees. Especially when it involved him losing a bet.
Just because he had an interest in architecture and design didn't mean he wanted to sit through endless meetings about the building and interior work of their new fire station.
And okay, Mojo owed Jamie the payback for letting it slip Mojo had started dating the monster truck rally girl… woman… whatever, for which the rest of the crew spent way too much time ribbing him over. But the guy didn't have to volunteer Jamie, did he?
Mojo's little prank stuck Jamie directly on the stupid approval committee. The one who decided today would be the day to finish up the presentations and make a choice for interior designer.
Of course, no one anticipated it would be the worst of the worst days for him. He hadn't been scheduled for a double shift. And he certainly hadn't expected to lose a victim—a kid, no less—to what appeared to be vehicular manslaughter.
Not the best circumstances to work with—zero sleep and not enough coffee in the world to get rid of the monster headache he had going on.
He should get a double espresso, but no, he didn't have time to duck into the coffee shop. Besides, he couldn't stomach the flirty barista today. Her double entendres usually amused him, but not after the forty-eight hours he'd just had.
And yeah, he'd considered taking her up on the blatant, in his face, wanna get busy innuendo more than once. He'd started relationships with less to go on. Not that any of them lasted long.
He'd have to be satisfied with the steaming mug he'd brewed while he showered to wash the stench of the last few days off this morning. Getting ten hours of sleep first would have been nice. Hell, five hours would've been great.
Coffee would be served at the presentation. At least he hoped so. He might have to maim or kill someone if there wasn't any available.
Pulling into the parking lot, he cursed at the time. Ten minutes late. He rolled to a stop and cut the engine. Glancing in the rearview mirror, he hastily ran his fingers through his hair, trying to tame the too long length. His plan had been to get it cut yesterday, but that didn't work out at all. Later today, if he had to do it himself.
Popping open the door, he grabbed his coffee and slid out of his truck and locked the vehicle. Pocketing his keys, he strode toward the station. With any luck, the three designers would get their ideas out of the way in short order.
If not… there might have a good chance of being treated to the sound of his snoring.

Jamie's going to wish he'd been able to catch some sleep once he gets into the meeting. He won't know which way is up when he meets Alix.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment