Sunday, May 27, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Feeding the Fury

The school year is officially over and now the summer fun begins. My daughter leaves for Disney next week to perform with the band and choir at the theme park. She's been organized and semi-packed for almost a full week already. I have no idea where she got that gene… it definitely didn't come from me.

Not a bad week for television. I caught another episode of Endeavor, which I thoroughly enjoy. Ended up with two episodes of Midsomer Murders. I'm winding down the last series or so of John Nettles's tenure.

Caught two episodes of Constantine. Again, I'm enjoying the high levels of quality snark bandied about by John. And I like how his inner demons weigh even heavier than the actual demons he has to thwart. Truly excellent fare.

Getting closer to the season finale of Gotham. Jerome's brand of crazy reaching out beyond the grave to completely encompass Jeremiah is great entertainment. And I truly do love how the other evolving villains continue to percolate their plans behind the scenes.

Chicago Fire and Blindspot are still holding my interest. I am still a little iffy on the whole Roman plan, but I'm invested enough that I want to find out what his actual master plan is.

Caught a few more episodes of Classic Who and should finish up the Dalek storyline soon. Also caught the second episode of Sense 8 and I'm pretty much hooked. I definitely want to find out what the hell is going on with this group.

The Flash season finale ended up being better than I hoped. That said, there could have been about five fewer episodes in this season and the story would have unfolded better. Riverdale threw a blindside or two into their finale and I'm there for whatever happens next. Hopefully it'll be Hiram's head on a pike parading through town. Just saying.

Krypton continues to make me happy. I kind of enjoy the intrigue and seeing how the alliances are constantly shifting because the ground keeps fluctuating under everyone's feet. Very interested in seeing where next season goes… if there is a next season.

Part one of Ghost Squad's season finale ended up being pretty terrific. I do wish there was more information on how the big boss lady gets her cases. I'll honestly not be surprised if she isn't as dirty as the cops she's trying to bring down. We'll see how that plays out.

Started a new to me show on the Roku Channel app. Archangel, I think, originally aired as TV movie, but it's billed as a three episode season. The first show ended up being pretty terrific. I also caught another episode of The Sarah Conner Chronicles on Crackle.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Feeding the Fury, a novella that started with a prompt about writing a story featuring a new commanding officer. The sages decided it would be better to write how a new command structure came to be. They also wanted a paranormal story instead of a science fiction one.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Larue and Wade displease the Fury and she orders them to battle each other in the pyre. But the two top mages decide they won't kill each other for her pleasure, instead they'll invoke the Rite of Phoenix and if they survive, the Fury will have to abdicate her throne.

And a preview snippet…

Wade sensed her presence the moment he completed his punga praeparabit routine. His raging hard-on quickly dissipated and a burst of disappointment swept through him. Wade enjoyed releasing the sexual tension and friction that naturally occurred during the hour-long workout session. He usually stroked his rigid dick to a hard come within minutes of completing the arduous and controlled period of mental and physical training. His balls ached with the break in his daily program. And his mind wanted the enhanced visions that came with spewing his seed.
He'd discovered many important clues and hints regarding his future, including his perfect match—who had yet to recognize their future intimate connection.
But Helena's appearance left him cold. And his body responded by dispelling the magickal energy replacing the kinetic force with frustration. He slowly inhaled, smelling her arousal and put a scent blocker in place to avoid the cloying aroma. No doubt she wouldn't notice, her talent being manipulation, seduction, and subterfuge to get what she wanted. Using the brute force of her lesser mages—with the promise of a liaison or even a full night in her bed—kept her in power as the Fury.
Wade had leeway. Being her top mage saved him from most of the mundane bullshit she heaped upon the novices, adepts, and masters. Helena didn't encourage higher brain function in her acolytes. Their lack of intelligence suited her and she kept them happy with magickal battles on the pyre.
Helena slithered into the room, impatience oozing from her. "The day has finally arrived. I'll wait no more." She didn't verbalize the words and probably didn't realize she'd telegraphed her thoughts directly into Wade's mind.
Gliding to his side, she turned on the seduction, touching, feeling, trying to get a rise out of Wade. His self-control won the day. He showed no outward sign of reaction, which irritated Helena who expected him to fawn over her preening.
Sorry to disappoint. I won't be performing stud service today.
She stamped her foot when he remained impassive. "Why did you ignore my order? And why are you not responding to me?" Her pointblank questions indicated her level of frustration.
They also gave him cause to provide an honest answer. "My mind and heart are elsewhere." He stirred the pot a little more. "I've gone through the beginning of the binding rite."
The slap of her hand against his face resounded in the alcove. "I didn't give you permission to bind with anyone." She snarled, spitting each syllable out between clenched teeth.
Wade kept his anger in check, responding with cool aplomb. "As the Fury, you know the rite isn't always in your control." The Fates trumped all, answering to no one in the realm. "The mystical change overtook me unexpectedly and I'm now bound to the path." And he'd gladly walk wherever fate led him, especially if it led him far away from Helena.
Her chest heaved with rage. "Who? I demand to know who you're bound to." No doubt so she could immediately attempt to break the bond.
Fat chance he'd let her. And he had a layer of protection here, too. One that would buy some time to figure a way out from under her thumb.
He shook his head. "I have to refuse. The other person isn't aware yet." When Helena discovered who his life mate would be, she'd lose her collective shit.
Helena leveled a cold stare on him. She tried to take the information from his mind, but he blocked her, slamming a shield in place to keep her from extracting the name. She growled, pissed off he managed to cut her off. She didn't lack skill and he fought to maintain the protective veil when she redoubled her effort.
She gave up, lashing out with a hard kick to his groin. He managed to stay upright, barely.
She whirled and stalked to the exit. "We'll just see if you end up completing the rite. I'm not done with you yet. I want you in my bed and I'll make it happen."
Wade pushed the pain aside and delivered a parting salvo. "You can't control or force the Fates to do your bidding. You know this."
She sent a nasty, frigid glare over her shoulder. "We'll see about that, Wade. We'll see." Leaving the chamber, she snapped her fingers and grabbed the nearest two minions—one male and one female.
Wade limped to the doorway in time to witness how Helena planned to work through her rage.
She barked an order. "Strip." Dropping her robes, she waited for Mack and Dinah to remove their garments. "Get behind me, Mack. I want you in my ass." She grabbed Dinah's arm and pushed her to the floor. "And you will worship my pussy. Now." Cupping her breasts, she ordered the other acolytes to watch and observe only. "No one else receives pleasure until I'm satisfied."
Wade rolled his eyes and left through a conjured portal. A shower would wash away the stench of dealing with Helena and give him time to plan his next careful move.

In all honesty, this story intrigues me and the sages have a very specific idea of how they want the characters to interact. Here's hoping everything comes together!



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment