Sunday, August 5, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Hold to Let Go

Wow… it's August. Almost time for school to get started again and the fall sports season to get underway. For me, this means feed the team for one of my daughter's golf matches and getting ready for football games and band competitions. Oh… and homecoming. We got the dress picked out and ready to order today. Yeesh.

Had a low-key week in television. Got kind of busy doing other things and ended up watching a lot of binge scheduling of Murder, She Wrote.

On DVD, I finished up Batman: The Brave and the Bold and got the second half of The Batman's season five episodes. Really enjoyed both.

Finished up the second to last episode of Strike Back's fourth season. Caught a Chicago Fire episode and also watched the season one finale of Sense8. Man… I'm completely sucked in to this show. I was going to watch the second season of Luke Cage then watch season two of Sense8, but I need to know what happens next. LOL Sorry, Luke… I'll be there soon.

Started Patrick Melrose but it didn't grab me. I'll watch it sometime later. Had a binge watch of The Saint on regular television. I'll be hunting down the entire series in the near future. Really love the show.

I'll be watching Wynonna Earp and Killjoys later this week. Had too much stuff going on Friday night to watch live.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Hold to Let Go, a sexy short about bringing two characters together during a tumultuous time.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Banner Nix and Quade Newelson go way back and have a lot of baggage to show for it. When an opportunity to save their people presents itself, they put their crap aside and work together to make it happen, even though their plan is in direct opposition to their leaders'

And a preview snippet…

The PM caught Quade after the session. "You know I wasn't ready to start in on the overcrowding. I don't like being blindsided."
Quade snorted. "I'm well aware." The PM and Quade's old man went way back. Quade knew exactly what set the man off. "I saw an opening and took it. You'd have done the same."
Mick couldn't argue the point. Instead he jumped on the other bone of contention. "Hear anything from your girlfriend?"
Quade didn't take the bait. "Did you miss the old man's morning briefing?" Mick scowled as an answer. "Then you know we haven't." Quade rose and met the PM's gaze. "Trust me, sir. You'll be the first call he makes."
Fitzwater harrumphed and conceded defeat. Quade watched the man exit the room before sinking back down into his empty seat.
"He likes to wind you up." Ron Adams, the under prime minister, ducked into the conference room. "You didn't let him this time."
Quade's lips curved in a half-smile. "I've had a lot of practice deflecting his barbed attacks." He stood up again. "And he needed to get a lick in. I did open the overcrowding topic knowing he wasn't ready to address anything."
Adams's voice went terse. "Not everything can be done on his timetable. He's gotta realize that fact sometime." Ron fell into step beside Quade. "You did good today. The positive response from the other delegates proves it."
Quade shook his head. "It's the first item on the agenda. The top question I get when meeting with the constituents." He made a turn toward his newly assigned quarters. "I owe it to them to at least bring it up."
Ron halted his progress with a firm grasp on his shoulder. "Interesting way of bypassing regular protocol. Did you plan it that way?"
Quade frowned. "What? No." He'd have to watch his step if Ron thought he'd have an opening. "The PM's misconception worked in my favor this time." He shot Adams a bland look. "It won't always play out that way. He'll be ready for the next meeting."
Adams sighed. "Too bad. I thought we might actually have a chance to get things accomplished." He slowly meandered down to his suite of rooms.
Quade ducked into quarters. He felt for the under PM, but the lack of progress didn't rest solely on the administration. The military arm came into play and the long-standing friendship between the commander and the PM often made for stalling tactics. No one really knew how to get out of their current predicament… and the research took time.
Hopefully between the scrolls and Banner's quest, they'd find a path to a new home.

I love mixing the paranormal angle with the political one. This is a fun story to write.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment