Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sunday Snippet: Whatever it Takes

Hello!

All right, people, I have dire thinky thoughts about two of my favorite shows, Strike Back and Sons of Anarchy, which I won't share here, but suffice to say, it's not looking good for a few characters. EEK!

Thank goodness, Arrow returns in two weeks and I can get my superhero fix again soon. Whew.

Tonight's post is from Whatever it Takes, a novella with magical elements, a gauntlet that can seriously mess with the characters' minds, and a couple who really need to be together, but have some big challenges before it can happen.

Here's the tagline:

Lysanor Bela runs the gauntlet and while she survives the experience, it messes with her mind. She has a vision of killing Baron Saltman—and gauntlet revelations are never wrong. Lys will do whatever it takes to keep Baron alive as long as possible—even if it means walking away from their relationship.

And the preview snippet…

"You need to take baby steps. You can't expect to be the same you were before surviving the gauntlet. It's not that easy, Lys." Baron knelt in front of her.
Lysanor snorted. "Yeah, well, you'd know, wouldn't you?" The man had gained close to fifty pounds in her absence.
Baron frowned. "Yes. Yes I would. Took me a year to get to the state I was in, and I didn't get out of by myself." He rose and stepped back. "Maybe you should think about that for a while."
Her head snapped up. "Oh, so it's my fault you blew up to huge proportions?" It figured he'd blame her, especially when she had no control over how she'd react to the gauntlet.
Baron huffed out a harsh breath. "Geez, Lys, that's not what I meant. If you're going to be pain in the ass difficult, forget I said anything." He turned abruptly and headed for the heavy oak door.
Lysanor had a flash of every single argument she'd ever had with Baron. So many, sometimes ugly and harsh, but he always came back. Always forgave her. And usually forgot her biggest transgressions.
And the man would be brutally honest, whether she liked it or not. She sorta loved that personality trait the most. In short, she needed him on her side.
"Baron, wait." Lysanor sighed. "I'm sorry. It's so much easier to lash out rather than listen. You pushed yourself hard to get back in shape. It's my turn." She looked down at her hands. "And I can't do it alone. Something tells me getting my head back on straight will be a bigger challenge than dropping fifty pounds." She'd most definitely hold back the part of her vision, until she absolutely had to fill him in.
Baron sank down beside her. "Whatever it takes, Lys." He wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Whatever it takes."
Lys wants to keep Baron safe, but she's got a lot to learn about how very persistent he'll be. Thankfully, Baron has a good head on his shoulders and he'll figure out what her biggest concern involves.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment