Sunday, January 5, 2014

Sunday Snippet: It's Always the Same Show

Happy New Year!!

I hope 2014 is filled with everyone my readers want and, of course, lots of reading!

I'm not a big fan of resolutions, but I do love setting goals. This year, my hope is to publish at least six manuscripts and learn more about the graphic end of the business. Luckily, my oldest kidlet is something of a whiz when it comes to creating great designs, so I have a built-in tutor.

I'm also feeling a strong pull to get back into crafting and being creative. My youngest is all for this and wants to help out. I'm looking forward to the bonding time we'll have.

And my middle child is my TV buddy. We watch a lot of the same shows and spend quality time chatting and dissecting the episodes. All in all, a good time.

The husband is an avid golfer and I'm hoping we'll get to spend some time on the course together. Even when I only go along for the ride, which is about half the time, it's a nice way to relax and catch up with each other.

On the television show front, Sherlock is back!! The convergence of acting, writing, and filming just makes me so happy. New episodes of my other favorite shows start soon. Banshee returns this Friday and I'm excited and on edge just thinking about it. I have no idea why that show sucks me in, but it completely does. J

Tonight's post is from It's Always the Same Show, a novella featuring battling between the hero and heroine. But all is not what it seems…

Here's the tagline:

Lanie Beck and Titus Berkley are tasked with whipping a new class of cadet mages into shape for the Academy of light. The biggest problem they face is never agreeing on how to make it happen. The cadets quickly learn to tune in and enjoy the show.

And a preview snippet…

Lanie let out a frustrated yowl and stomped to her open doorway.
A newbie cadet, stopped her workout and bowed to Fiberous, the under adept leading the fluid motion class. "Oh, man, is she going to be okay?" The student angled her head around and took a step back. "It looks like steam should be coming out her ears."
The lead attendant crossed his arms over his chest. "Yeah, well, tune in, because it's about to get really interesting and probably very ugly." He snorted. "And steam is a definite possibility."
Lanie tossed him a nasty look, strode from her classroom, and rapped loudly on Titus's door. "Titus Berkley, get you’re your lame and sorry ass out here, now." She stepped back, bracing her hands on her hips.
A full two minutes went by before Titus deigned to open his door. "Do not use foul language, Lanie. I've got a roomful of cadets who don't need to listen to your mutilation of the common word." He braced his shoulder on the jamb. "What do you want?"
She exhaled slowly and poked a finger in his chest. "I want my cadets. At this very moment, they're supposed to be combining chemicals to make potions in my classroom." She snarled. "Why aren't they?"
Titus sighed. "Because I told you last week I'd need more time to go over the spells and incantations with them. We're getting into the final unit." He lifted a brow, daring her to deny his statement.
She couldn't, but she also recalled her response. "And I informed you extra class time would have to wait, because I have a tight schedule to keep."
Titus rolled his eyes. "Teaching the cadets how to blow shit up isn't a priority, Lanie, to anyone but you."
The student, Billa, glanced in Fiberous's direction. "Ouch. He hit hard with that one."
Fib shot her a look. "Doesn't mean he isn't right."
"Shut. Up." Lanie hated the fact Titus spoke in unison with her.
She moved forward, standing toe to toe with her nemesis. "Look. You don't get to dictate my schedule. And you definitely don't have the right to step all over my pre-arranged syllabus."
Titus leaned in close. "And I don't expect you to remember how intricate or important the wording is for the final unit, especially since you butcher basic grammar on a daily basis." He smirked. "But I'd rather not have fire raining down from the sky if we can avoid it."
Lanie flushed hot. "You son of a bitch. That happened one damn time. And it was as much your fault as it was mine." She whirled around, crossed the training area, and slammed her door so hard the glass rattled.
Fib shook his head. "You're a brave man, Titus. That woman is gonna rain holy hell down on you."
Titus grinned. "I know. I can't wait."

Needless to say, Lanie will probably have something very interesting in store for Titus, but… it may not be what anyone thinks. J



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment