Sunday, December 14, 2014

Sunday Snippet: Timely Distraction

Okay. The end of a seven year ride with the final episode of Sons of Anarchy left me satisfied and kind of weepy. But honestly? The last shot of the series ended up being pretty much perfect, in my opinion. Still digesting everything, but all in all, things played out exactly how I expected, but in a way that made me wish I had Kurt Sutter's talent. Sons of Anarchy will rank right up there with Battlestar Galactica as one of my favorite shows of all time.

The Flash and Arrow also didn't let me down. On one hand, I wish I didn't have to wait until January for new episodes, but on the other, with the busy holiday season, a nice little rest won't kill me. I hope. LOL

Tonight's post is from Timely Distraction, a novella about a magical realm where the prince seeks a grand adventure.

Here's the tagline:

Donahue Stuart, prince and heir to his father's throne, longs for grand adventures, but danger lurks from raiders and marauders, out for royal blood. Enter Lady Vivian, daughter of the king's oldest friend, and a kindred spirit who shows Donahue he can have all the magnificent escapades he wants, right in his own realm.

And a preview snippet…

Lady Vivian knocked lightly on the door to the king's chamber then pushed the heavy oak inward, gliding through the entrance like she owned the castle.
King Stuart glanced up, one eyebrow arched. "Vivian, why must you always try to scandalize the palace servants by sneaking into my private domain?" He closed the book, resting on his lap, and laid it aside. "You know how they love to gossip." He rose and crossed the floor with three long strides, coming to a stop less than a foot away from her.
Vivian shrugged. "Habit, I guess. I've been finding ways to wreak havoc since the age of three." She waited, a little uncertain of her reception.
Stuart's lips twitched. "My dear, you've been running amok since you slid from the womb and you know it." He gathered Vivian up into a big bear hug, pressing a kiss to her temple before letting her go.
Vivian stepped back and flashed a grin. "Perhaps, but I don't remember anything before turning three." She dipped into a half-curtsey. "The earl sends his good tidings and apologies for not coming along this time." She left out the reason why.
Damon shot her a stern look. "He couldn't come because he's cleaning up after you again. How many brokenhearted suitors does this make, Viv? Ten? Eleven?" He placed his hand on her shoulder and directed her into his sitting area.
Vivian's face flamed hot. "Twelve, but who's counting?" She settled onto the dainty chair beside the fire, feeling out of place with her leather pants and boots. "I told the earl I didn't plan to wed anytime soon. Not my fault he keeps throwing hapless males in my path." She lifted a shoulder. "I won't settle down until I'm ready." Shooting the king a sideways glance, she continued. "But I'm sorry he keeps sending me here to be underfoot when he's displeased with me."
Damon threw his head back and laughed. "No. You're not." He sat on his ornate seat and propped a leg on the ottoman in front of him. "And while he is displeased with you, I asked for your presence. The timing of my request just happened to work out well for your father." He leaned back, folding his hands across his stomach.
Vivian narrowed her eyes. "Please tell me you're not trying to fix me up with some blue blood royal, too." A shot of disappoint zinged her.
She'd always considered the king an ally. Her heart would break if he proved otherwise.
Stuart snorted. "Not bleeding likely, Viv. The earl is my oldest and dearest friend, but he knows how I feel about rushing you to wed." He kicked his other foot onto the ottoman. "No, I sent for you because I have a favor to ask. A big one." He sighed.
Her curiosity piqued, she tilted her head to one side. "Does it involve mayhem and causing trouble?" If it didn't, Damon would be sorely disappointed.
She couldn't do the lady in waiting thing.
Again, the king laughed. "It just might." He straightened and leaned forward, his features sobering. "Within reason, because it involves Hue."
Intrigued by his serious countenance, and the mention of Hue, Vivian eased to the edge of her seat. "I'm listening. What do you need me to do?"
I have so much fun with fairy tale settings. This story is no different.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment