Sunday, March 1, 2015

Sunday Snippet: Veering Off Course

Well, hello, March. Thank you for dumping like seven inches of snow on me. :D

Seriously, I have to remember I was wearing flip flops and shorts in October so I don't get all crazy about having snow in March. LOL

Some great TV this week. I'm rather sad I have to wait almost a whole month for new The Flash and Arrow episodes. Oh well, teaches me the value of patience, right? Banshee and Bitten had great episodes. So happy for a satisfying end to one of the characters on Banshee, which tied in nicely with the satisfying end to one of the characters on Bitten last week. Yes, I have a bloodthirsty streak sometimes. :D

To counter the death toll, let's see if The Walking Dead manages to keep everyone alive again this week. LOL

Tonight's post is from Veering Off Course, a novella where my female character has to go on a journey of discovery.

Here's the tagline:

Raine Shippley tends to go her own way, always veering off course. When her true path is revealed, Dalton Tucker thinks they'll finally have a chance, but Raine disappears and he's left to follow the trail alone… or so he thinks.

And a preview snippet…

"So tell, me Dalton, which freaking element should take precedence?" Raine Shippely whirled around and faced Dalton Tucker. "Because my head hurts trying to figure out what I did to be so damned unlucky." She stalked away and dropped down onto the sofa.
Dalton didn't have a ready answer. "You could try changing your perspective." He moved across the room and settled into the chair across from the couch. "Consider the face you can draw on all four as a blessing instead of a curse?"
Raine rolled her eyes and snorted. "Right. Because that's not totally isolating." She leaned forward. "How many other fae, maybe what? Five? Have the ability to use every element?" She flopped back. "And where are they, Dalton?"
He frowned. "Look, what happened to them doesn't have to happen to you—"
She shot up and paced back and forth. "You mean I don't have to go bug ass insane and land myself in solitary banishment? Or go over the top evil and try to kill off half my race?" She stopped. "The other three aren't even on the grid anymore. What does that tell you?" Her voice trembled but her face hardened. "It tells me they're either dead or waiting to die somewhere off the grid."
Dalton rose and moved to her side, wrapping his arms around her. He expected her to pull away, but she leaned into him. She snaked an arm around his waist and held on.
Dalton pressed a kiss to her temple. "I can't argue your point, Raine, but there's nothing carved in stone indicating you have to follow their path." He guided her to the sofa and got her to sit back down. "The one thing you have going for you is knowledge. You're aware. You know the potential outcomes." He hauled her close, thrilled when she relaxed into his side. "You have time to figure everything out. And you know I'll be here to help."
Raine lifted her chin to meet his gaze. "Right now, you're the only thing keeping me grounded. But I know, deep in my bones, it won't be enough." Her head bent forward, coming to rest on his shoulder.
Dalton didn't speak, content to hold her… for as long as she wanted.
For as long as he could.
Raine's journey takes her on quite the quest, but Dalton is always there, in the forefront of her mind.

So much fun writing this one.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment