Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sunday Snippet: Physical Therapy

Wow. Orphan Black makes me so happy. The complete insanity of the plots never fails to entertain. I can actually say same the same about Arrow. I have no clue where they're going to end up going, but I'm definitely sticking along for the ride. The Flash is also upping its game. I'm looking forward to seeing how this season ends.

My catch-up viewing of Teen Wolf continues. I'm about finished with season two and apparently the truly crazy cakes stuff hasn't even happened yet. Can't wait to see what season three has in store.

Tonight's post is from Physical Therapy, a novella where my main characters fall for each other under odd circumstances.

Here's the tagline:

Flint Hollywell, a talented physical therapist, loves nothing more than watching arena ball player Tappen Bligh work her magic on the playing field. But when a career ending injury sidelines Tappen, Flint is determined to get her back on the grass where she thrives on the action.

And a preview snippet…

Flint crossed his arms over his chest. "In that case, I've got a few new techniques I'd like to try." At her quick nod, he maneuvered her onto her side and worked the rotating angle back and forth.
Tappen hissed out a harsh breath. "Shit, that hurts." She inhaled, deep and slow, but didn't fight against the reps.
He altered sides and repeated the process two more time before giving her a break. She sat up, a little shaky, and he handed her a bottle of water.
Taking several long swallows, she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. "The new techniques are killer difficult." She met his gaze. "And you expect me to torture myself with these how many times a day?" She finished off the water and tossed the bottle into the trash can.
He lifted a shoulder. "At least three, four if you can stand it." Two would actually suffice, but she pushed hard and could hand the extra reps.
Her eyes narrowed. "I kind of hate you right now." Her leg straightened and her knee moved a little more freely than before. "God, you're such a bastard. You know that, right? You know I'll go four even if it kills me."
Flint's lips quirked. "Come on, Tappen. You can do better than that." He grabbed two ice packs, activated them, and placed them on her knees. "Bastard? Rather tame for your repertoire, isn't it?"
She snorted. "Yeah, but I saving the really wild stuff for our next session, when I'll really want to hurt you as much as you hurt me." A small shudder went down her spine.
Concerned, Flint grasped her shoulders. "Look. I'm pushing hard because you said you want to go back." He squeezed her lightly. "You can back off anytime. No one's going to think less of you." Letting go, he stepped back.
She angled her head around. "I'll think less of myself, which you also know." Adjusting the ice packs, she swung her legs up onto the table. "You're doing exactly what I want, not babying me and forcing me to past the fear…" Her nose crinkled. "By making it too bad to be scared."
Flint chuckled. "I do my best. But seriously, if four times a day is too much, cut it back to three and work up." He placed a hand over the ice, intensifying the cold. "And use the ice as often as needed."
She tilted her head to one side. "Wanna come over and work your magic four times day? Because it feels really good right now."
Flint blinked and removed his palm. He'd love to see her so often. But he'd lose what little professional detachment he had left.
He laughed. "You really would want to maim and kill me if we spent that much time together."
Tappen slid him a sideways glance. "I doubt that. But you're right. I need to manage the bulk of my recuperation on my own." She removed the bags, setting them off to one side before carefully hopping off the table. "Same time next week?"
Flint nodded, not liking the coolness of her tone, but unwilling to cross the line into personal territory. "Absolutely. And feel free to call if you have to change the time. I'm pretty flexible with my schedule."
Tappen gave him a quick smile. "Will do." She flexed each knee several times. "Can I skip the wraps now?"
Flint sighed. "For one hour after you do your reps, you can stay wrap free, but no longer. You still need the support or you'll be on crutches."
She frowned. "No way. I hate those things. One hour and no longer. Got it." With a jaunty wave, she exited the treatment room.
Flint watched her careful stride, amazed she'd come as far as she had. And he fell just a little bit more for the incredible woman.

I'm kind of liking how this one is coming together. Not exactly sure where we'll end up, but the character interaction is loads of fun.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment