Sunday, August 2, 2015

Sunday Snippet: Broken Arrow

So… I have the final two episodes of Strike Back waiting to be watched and I'm putting it off. Because I want to savor the last two hours before it's over for good. LOL

Teen Wolf… eh, this past week felt like a bunch of set-up, which is okay, but I'm kind of wanting the new guy to be found out and I really want to know what the hell is going on with Stiles. Here's hoping Monday's episode sheds some light.

The Last Ship continues to keep me glued to the screen. I love everything about this show, the actors, the pacing, the storyline, and most definitely the characters. So much awesome rolled into forty-five minutes. Just saying.

Friday night lineup is still kicking major good vibes. Defiance and Killjoys each turned in superb viewing. Repercussions abounded and I pretty much loved both episodes. Dark Matter also dropped some interesting info bombs, which did indeed tie back to the clues in previous episodes. Really liking the dynamic and the way it changes when new stuff is revealed about the characters.

Tonight's post is from Broken Arrow, a novella where my main characters have some serious issues to work through.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Cailin Berg is a broken arrow, a mage suffering from a crippling experience who can no longer use their skills, and she wants to find a way back to her practice. Phelps Morlach can't give her any answers, but he will offer whatever assistance he can provide… especially since he holds some of the responsibility for Cailin's predicament.

And a preview snippet…

Phelps Morlach entered the quiet alcove and settled across from Cailin Berg, his student, lover, and best friend. His news grave, he considered how to break the information without sending her into a magical tailspin.
Reaching out, he grasped her hands. "Cailin, I've come from the proctor." His thumbs traced wide circles on her skin.
Cailin smiled. "And I'm going to my final examination? When? This week?" She nearly bounced with anticipation.
Phelps shook his head. "No, not this week, or even this month." His gaze met hers. "You need more time, Cailin." He braced for her reaction.
She jerked her hands from his. "You told him, didn't you? About the nightmare I had." Rising from the chaise, she stalked back and forth. "I can't believe you, Phelps. It was one damned dream; nothing says it has to be a prophetic one." She whirled and faced him. "You don't believe in me or my powers. You're so blessed obsessed with having and keeping me, you'll do anything to hold me back." She sneered. "No more, Phelps. I won't wait any longer. I'm leaving tonight." She crossed the floor, her boots scraping along the stone surface. "We're through."
The door, which the society never closed, slammed shut behind her.
Phelps closed his eyes. He sucked. Truly, completely, utterly. How could he possibly explain he didn't lack faith in her? He believed Cailin would do spectacular things one day.
But… the darkness she carried inside her gave him pause. He didn't have the skills to help her get past the nightmare—a prophetic one whether she believed or not—or the ability to show her how to control the dark streak of power. The proctor's edict gave Phelps time to study, learn, and put forth his best effort to keep Cailin from unleashing the raw, tainted magic before she got a handle on the havoc she could create.
The time didn't matter now. His fear for her drove her away.
He'd failed Cailin and lost her in the process.
Truly loving how this one is coming together. I've written a lot of the story longhand and it's flowing really well.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment