Sunday, September 20, 2015

Sunday Snippet: Events in Motion

Hmmm. As much as I love Doctor Who, I have to admit to being underwhelmed by the season premiere. I'm not a huge fan of Missy in any way, shape, or form. I love the concept of a female Master, but eh, not thrilled with the storylines she's been featured in. We'll see how the rest of the season goes.

I have been enjoying the new season of Longmire. I like to move to Netflix and, so far, all the episodes have been pretty solid. I think I have two left before I'm done.

I wish I had more excited for the new fall season but nothing is really sparking my interest with the new slate of shows. I am looking forward to my faves returning so at least I'll have something to rave about each week. LOL

Tonight's post is from Events in Motion, a novella where my characters try to fight fate and don't have the best results.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Fate has a plan for Drury, one she's not all that certain she wants to follow. Porter doesn't believe in destiny, but when Drury sets a chain of events in motion, he has to change his perspective or risk losing her to chance.

And a preview snippet…

Drury Amanze tossed and turned, in the grip of a dream she had full cognizance of but no control over. She floated above the planet, weightless and serene, but the imagery cast frightening disasters—hurricane floods, blazing wildfires, raging blizzards—all covering the rock in the universe she called home. The devastation and destruction made her arms wrap around her midsection. Horror clogged her throat until she couldn't breathe. She gasped for air and a strangled scream tore through the quiet of space and she plummeted, free-falling through the atmosphere, picking up speed the charred earth rushing upward to greet her.
"Dru! Wake up!"
A pair of hands shook her roughly and she jerked awake on another scream. Strong arms went around her, hauling her up against a solid cest.
A soothing voice whispered against her ear. "I've got you, Dru. You're okay."
Porter.
She sank into his warm embrace, curling her arms around him. Tears flowed down her cheeks. When did I start crying? And his fingers brushed the droplets away.
 He tilted her chin up towards him. "You had a dream, Dru. A nightmare. But I'm here. You're safe." His lips pressed against her forehead.
She nodded, but couldn't speak yet. The horrific obliteration of their planet still spun through her head, but the images were fading, going gray and hazy around the edges. Porter braced his back against the headboard and tucked her head in the crook of his shoulder. He didn't say anything, but the inhale and exhale of his breathing soothed her further. The terrible dream faded, but a constant buzzing hummed in her head.
Dru chalked the sound up to being shaken and exhausted. Closing her eyes, she burrowed closer to Porter. He tugged a lightweight throw up and over them.
He stroked his palm over her hair. "I'll stay through the night. Get some rest."
At least he didn't tell her to sleep. She didn't think she could handle another nightmare tonight. But she'd take the comfort Porter offered… especially since she didn't have a claim on his nighttime hours anymore. Hell, she didn't even know why he'd shown up, but thank the universe he had.
She gave his midsection a squeeze. "Thank you. For being here."
Porter rested his chin on her head. "You're welcome, Dru. Anytime."
Her lips curved, just a little. The man never failed to come through for her.
Even when they weren't a couple anymore.
Another one of my favorite stories to write… the couple who finds their way back to each other.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment