Sunday, January 17, 2016

Sunday Snippet: The Jade Claw

Ugh. Got hit hard with a nasty cold / flu something. It's been a miserable week trying to hit editing deadlines and maintain my sanity at the same time. LOL

This week's Teen Wolf brought back an old, well… I can't really call the character a favorite, so let's say a familiar face instead. I like having some old school peeps back on my screen. Nothing wrong with the new crew, but eh, I think a lot can be said for taking care of the roots, too. Hopefully, I'm not being too spoilery.

My shows are back this week. The Flash, Arrow, the premiere of Legends of Tomorrow, and maybe even Agent Carter. Not sure about the premiere date for X-Files, but I'll be checking to make sure I don't miss it.

And that's it for this week on the TV front.

Tonight's post is from The Jade Claw, a novella with paranormal intrigue and a dash of humor where my main characters jump through flaming hoops to accomplish their goals.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Skyrah Yule is caught in the middle of a paranormal mafia grab for power when several artifacts are stolen from the museum she works for. The agent investigating the break-in, Clay Wellstone, intrigues her, especially when she discovers he's got close familial ties with the suspected culprits.

And a preview snippet…

Cantor Defense Agent Clay Wellstone surveyed the wrecked and damaged area of the Tauric Antiquities room with a critically discerning eye. He noted the presence of the curator, an Art History professor at Cantor University. Her agitated state suggested impatience to restore order. Not that he blamed her. Whoever pulled off the heist of the museum did so with precision, leaving a path of destruction behind to muddy the waters and slow things down.
"Excuse me, Ms. Yule." Clay pulled the curator of the Museum of Cantor History off to the side of the crime scene. "Can you give me basics of what happened here?"
The harassed but seriously beautiful blond stared at the ugly scene before her, broken glass, overturned display cases and empty stands. Her devastated eyes blinked several times, as if that might make the carnage go away. No such luck.
"Ms. Yule?"
She focused her gaze on him. "What? Oh, the basics. Right."
Turning, she scanned the area with different eyes. This time they were keenly intelligent and sharp, and just a little pissed off. Exactly what he’d been going for.
Her lips thinned into a straight line. "I got here late, my class ran over."
Clay had already run a background check, following protocol. "You're a professor at Cantor U?" He asked the question for confirmation.
A quick nod and she continued. "I entered the back way. I always come in from the employee parking area."
She ran the steps she'd taken, walked him through her discovery, providing a solid amount of detail. His respect level raised another notch. She’d make a good agent if she ever wanted a career change.
He flashed a rueful smile. "I appreciate the information and I'm sorry to ask, but we'll need you to come down and make a full statement when you're up for it."
She looked around the display area again. "Now's good. Everything's fresh in my mind."
Clay smiled. "Great. I can give you a ride and drop you back here after we're through." He admired her tenacity and get it done now attitude.
As if he needed more to add to the list of things he liked about her.
Skyrah nodded. "Yeah, that works." She picked her way toward the door, careful not to disturb anything.
Clay watched closely, as much to figure out the intriguing puzzle she appeared to be as to enjoy the determined set of her shoulders.
He had a feeling Skyrah Yule would be quite a challenge.

This one may end up being a full novel by the time it's all written. And it's been so much fun I can't wait to finish and get it polished up and ready to publish!



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment