Sunday, March 13, 2016

Sunday Snippet: Led Astray

Whew. Had a super-busy week running all over the place with my teenagers. Glad it's over.

Another light television week, which worked out well, considering the whole crazytown express thing. The Walking Dead turned in a fine outing, but I'm still kind of dreading the whole Neegan thing. Here's hoping I'm projecting for nothing.

My Monday lineup continues to impress. I hope Syfy continues to keep that day of the week filled with awesome shows. I can't always count on the network to make the best decisions. LOL

Tuesday's Teen Wolf finale didn't disappoint. I can honestly say I'm quite happy with how everything turned out. Theo received a just fate and, as usual, Scott's side had all the bases covered. I was a little disappointed I didn't get to see how things turned out for Parrish. I have my own personal head canon for his future. Agents of SHIELD returned and not a bad effort.

Legends of Tomorrow is still putting on a good show. I have a few, small quibbles with some aspects of the development, but I'll save those for my fandom blog where spoilers are discussed openly.

Murdoch Mysteries ended up being pretty great. I love how the show, even after being on for almost ten years, still finds new ground to cover. Seriously, can't ask for more than that in a long-running favorite.

And that's it for TV this week.

Tonight's post is from Led Astray, a novella that started with a two-word prompt "Just drive". Loved the possibilities and images those two words invoked.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Gia Schmidt is tasked with bringing Orrick Triolo around to her clan's way of thinking, but he proves a hard case to crack, even with her considerable skills. Orrick's got something she wants but if she's not careful, he'll lead her astray instead of the other way around.

And a preview snippet…

Satisfaction infused Orrick. He had Gia teetering on a precipice of fear and wariness. Good. Served her right for putting him on the hot seat. And he had no doubt she'd set him up. What he didn't know? The why.
She seemed to think he'd head straight for Manor Glen. Did she want him there for a reason? To put the final nails in his coffin before someone threw a noose around his neck. Well, too damned bad. The caves offered sanctuary and a place for them to hash out their differences. And for him to figure out whatever the hell she really wanted. He excelled at working angles and he'd find one to play with her.
She cleared her throat. "Look, I know you told me not to do or say anything, but I have to know I'm going to be safe." Her gaze landed on him for a brief second before focusing on the road again.
Orrick should let her stew a little while longer. He wanted her concern and worry. Needed to have her off-kilter and wondering. Craved her obedience, just freaking once. But he'd give her a small assurance if only to shut her up.
He didn't glance her way. "Your safety depends on your actions." He directed his gaze out the window, keeping it off Gia. "Behave and you'll be fine. Pull any of your stupid stunts and you won't." Orrick stopped there, letting the threat hang.
Gia grunted. "Simple enough." A sigh escaped her. "And fair enough." She lapsed back into silent mode.
Orrick risked a brief glance in her direction. Gia's stony profile met his gaze, but she kept her eyes focused straight ahead and chewed on the inside of her cheek. Her lips stayed pursed together, a major feat for the woman who liked to talk nonstop and fast. She appeared to be heeding his warning.
Thank the universe for small wonders.
Another hour of blissful peace before he upended her world.
Or his turned upside down.

This one is shaping up as a total blast to write. I love writing based on prompts, shaping the story and seeing where it goes.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment