Sunday, October 9, 2016

Sunday Snippet: Order of Aggression

Gotham continues to intrigue me. I'm a little lost when it comes to Leigh and what's going on with her, but I'm in for the ride. The double Bruce's are definitely interesting so here's hoping that story pays off in a good way.

Still behind on Agents of SHIELD. Gotta try and catch up before the new episode.

The Flash kicked butt. I'll be disappointed if the whole resetting of the timeline keeps happening though. That said, it seems like there are some solid repercussions, which I'm totally down with.

Arrow also rocked. I'm thrilled to have the Russian storyline for the flashbacks. According to the scuttlebutt, this is the last year for flashbacks so I plan to enjoy. Moving forward, I'll be interested to see how things play out. Maybe they'll do futurescapes or something.

In all honesty, Van Helsing isn't quite doing it for me. I'll give it the rest of the season to see if the storyline improves. I'd really like to fall for this show.

MacGyver is seriously not bad. I do love the callbacks to the original but also the updated vibe of the new. I'm interested in the whole father thing, because the impression is Mac's is still living. That should be a fun twist.

Not sure I'm looking forward to The Walking Dead's premiere. I may skip the opener and watch The Talking Dead instead. I've got the same feeling I had during season two, which I ended up skipping.

Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow are up next. We've had football airing on our local CW channel so I might be playing catch up again.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Order of Aggression, a novella based on the idea one character has to get another to do something (in this case follow an order) they don't want to do and they have to get physical to make it happen.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When Ames Braddock is ordered to take out an enemy outpost with possible civilian casualties, he calls on Parker Hart to be his second, but Parker balks at the idea. Ames isn't thrilled with the mission, but he needs Parker and he's not above using aggression to bring her in line, which gets the job done, but also backfires when she demands satisfaction.

And preview snippet…

Ames Braddock met the gaze of his superior. "You know what you're asking me to do, right?" Jamen Lane also happened to be an old friend. "The repercussions could bite you seriously hard on the ass." Not to mention haunt Ames for the rest of his days.
Jamen gave a terse nod. "I'm more than aware, Ames. It took a lot to get to this decision." He got up and paced back and forth behind the desk. "We can't afford to lose anyone else."
Except Ames and whoever he chose to be his number two for the mission. Sometimes it sucked to be good at his job. Pulling this off, even at his skill level, would be a nightmare.
Ames heaved a sigh. "Just to be straight. You're ordering me to take out the outpost, also known as the Fifth Street Saloon. It's heavily fortified, fiercely guarded, and a haven for normals that live on the edge." In other words, a massive cluster fuck from beginning to end.
Jamen lifted a shoulder. "Yeah, that's the order." He stopped pacing. "The good news? The surrounding buildings are empty." He managed to keep a straight face when delivering the supposed bonus.
Ames rolled his eyes. "Well, whoop-di-fucking-do. You know there's a greater than eighty percent chance they're full of traps, pitfalls, and seriously dangerous shit, right?" Of course, Jamen had the probability figured already.
His boss shot Ames a hard stare. "Why do you think I'm sending you?" His mouth thinned to a slash across his face.
Ames shook his head. "Because everyone else would say no goddamn way, tell you to fuck off, and walk away." He gave Jamen a level look. "You know I won't refuse and I'm the only one with the balls to maybe pull this off." But he couldn't do it alone.
A lot of relief and hint of humor crept into Jamen's gaze. "Speaking of your balls, how are you gonna keep them intact when you ask her?" The fact he left the 'her' nameless spoke volumes.
And Ames had no idea how he'd approach the prickly situation. Probably make the request an order and play hardball. Wouldn't that go over like a brick shithouse?
He shrugged. "I have no goddamned clue." He turned and started for the exit.
Jamen called out a parting shot. "Wanna borrow my cup?" A snicker followed the pithy comment.
Ames didn't respond vocally. Instead, he let his middle finger do the talking.
He left the room to the sound of Jamen's laughter.
This one is going to be a lot of fun. Here's hoping the sage keep feeding me good material.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment