Sunday, March 5, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Ringside Seats

If February in Ohio can be an angsty monster, March is its drama queen sibling. The wind is doing some wicked crazy things lately.

I'm kind of looking forward to The Walking Dead tonight. Of course, whether I watch the entire episode depends on if Negan makes an appearance. I really, really don't like him eating up screen time. No offense to the actor. He's terrific.

The Flash had another great episode. Dueling Harrisons is fun to watch. I'm truly wondering if Iris has a future on this show. I love the actress so I hope she does. That said, the CW isn't afraid to kill off favorites, so, yeah, there's that.

Arrow had another great episode. I had a sneaky suspicion about Adrian, especially after he mentioned Oliver stole his girlfriend back in the day. Season five is kind of up and down but the threads merge in ways I'm not usually expecting and I like that.

Riverdale is still holding my attention. I'm a little iffy on the jumbled up feeling I get, like there's not really a solid through-line, but I'm more than willing to hang in there and see where everything goes. I chuckle at their previously ons… I know a show that used to slip stuff that didn't make it onscreen into the previously ons… just saying.

Finished up season two of Daredevil and loved how everything came together. Looking forward to more with Matt, Foggy, and Karen. Started Jessica Jones and hit just over the halfway mark. It's not quite as great as Daredevil, in my viewer opinion, but I'm enjoying the acting and the characters. Okay, I'm not really excited about Hogarth, but eh, whatever.

And that's it in television this week. Tonight's post is from Ringside Seats, a novella that got a boost from the writing community prompt of "sparring". I love how many different directions that could go in, but I chose a mix of verbal and physical.

Here's the mini-blurb:

An unclaimed attraction leads to some aggressive flirting in the apprentice's ring, when Vita Morj and Keb Pennyson are challenged to see who'd win in a magical bout. It may end up a draw because neither opponent plans to give quarter.

And a preview snippet…

Bashal cocked his head to one side. "What is it with you two? You're constantly sniping at each other." He blinked and frowned.
Vita snorted. "Oh, Bash, my friend. You do not wanna go there." She sent a sweet sneer in Keb's direction.
He'd had enough. Enough of her biting sarcasm and constant push-push-push on every button he had. Time to call her out.
He got up and made his way to the table. "You know what, Bash, I think you do wanna go there." He gave Vita a pointed glare before directing his attention back to Bash. "What do think Vita and I should do to solve our issues?"
Bash's mouth dropped open. "Are you kidding?" He rubbed his hands together, barely containing his glee. "I know exactly what you two need." A slow smile spread across his face. "A mage on mage cage battle."
Vita shook her head. "No way. Not gonna happen." She folded her arms over her chest and kicked her feet out.
Keb quirked a brow. "Why not?" He decided to push a button of hers. "Afraid you can't last in the cage with me?" That should get her riled up.
Vita growled. "You know that's not why." She straightened and leaned forward. "And you're not exactly in a position to piss off the old folks." Her gaze flicked toward the head precept.
Okay, she had a point. He walked a very fine line between his family's influence and what the elder board would let him get away with. The old folks didn't approve of cage matches, but they usually turned a blind eye. He shot a glance toward Bashal, whose gaze pinged back and forth from Vita to Keb.
As much of a pain as Bash could be, he'd come up with the perfect solution to settle things between Keb and Vita. Keb would take his chances with landing on the wrong side of things. Vita probably had more to lose, especially since the incident that landed her on probation.
Keb lifted a shoulder. "I think maybe you're the one who should be concerned." He pinned her with a smug look. "I've always got a fallback plan."
Vita's fists clenched and her breath hissed out between her teeth. "You're such an ass." She took a deep breath and slowly exhaled then relaxed her gripped fingers. "You're also on." Rising, she nodded to Bash. "Set it up and let me know when." Casting one last, scathing look toward Keb, she turned on her heel and strode out of the room.
Bash sat in stunned silence, a first from what Keb could recall.
Bash recovered and glanced up. "So… you want I should make the arrangements?"
Keb's lips twitched. "You heard the lady. Get it done." He left the younger mage to figure out how to pull off the impossible and went in search of a quiet place to think and plan.
Keb had his insurmountable task to figure out—namely how to survive in a battle with a woman he'd much rather see tangled in his sheets than flinging magic barbs in his direction.
But he'd blown that chance to hell.

Keb has a lot to make up for and getting in the ring with Vita might give him the chance to clear the air.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment