Sunday, May 20, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Fancy Meeting You Here

A great week with a busy schedule. The end of the school year is always jammed up with concerts, graduation parties, and last-minute final projects. Never boring.

Good week in television. Watched a little more Classic Who with The Daleks: The Dead Planet and The Survivors. Also caught another episode of Midsomer Murders. Watched the second episode of Constantine and, honestly, I'm enjoying the show. Definitely a good thing to get a better feel for the character since he'll be on Legends this fall.

Gotham continues to be a super-great pleasure to watch. I'm almost caught up and can't wait to see how this season ends. I'm a little on the fence about R'as, but we'll see what happens.

Watched Chicago Fire and Chicago PD. I'm still loving Chicago Fire. Chicago PD not so much. The whole Woods going after Hank thing is too contrived and using one of Hank's people as a mole has been done. Also, the never heard of before sister is too damned convenient. Right now… I'm done. I'll catch up on marathons later. Blindspot, however, is holding my interest. Even if I'm kind of "meh" on Roman being the new instigator, I love the team's new interactions.

The Flash is almost over for the season and I'm ready. DeVoe is becoming my least favorite villain of all time. I'm ready for them to move on and get someone new to be the bad guy. In contrast, Arrow's season finale ended up being one of my favorite episodes. I'm a little bummed Diaz got away. Seriously, I wanted him to either die in a fire or end up behind bars.

Started a new-to-me show on Netflix with Sense8. I'd started this a long time ago and finally finished watching the first episode. I'm now hooked and can't wait to follow the series. I also caught the next to last episode of Riverdale's second season. The reveal of the Black Hood was incredible. Cheryl and Betty teaming up made me happy. I'm ready for Hiram to get what's coming to him in a big way. I'm curious about who the hell attacked Archie and Fred and have a sneaking suspicion Hiram's dirty handprints will be all over that deal. FP carrying Jughead broke my heart. I'm so ready to watch the finale now!!

Caught another episode of Krypton and, holy hell, the maneuvering and shifting allegiances is kind of fun to watch. I'm excited to see how the rest of the season goes.

Started The Batman season three and thoroughly enjoyed the show. Also caught another episode of Ghost Squad and still enjoy how fine a line Amy has to walk to get to the truth of corruption. Her interaction with Pete is also a lot of fun to watch. On tap for today is another episode of Endeavor and probably some additional Classic Who.

Whew! That wraps up television for this week. Tonight's post is from Fancy Meeting You Here, a novella that started with a writing community prompt of write a scene or story where the main characters end up in the same bar looking for hookups and find each other instead.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Jonni Mars and Val Janison are enforcers for two opposing mage families and have a friendly rivalry. When Val, a member of the ruling house, shows up at Jonni's favorite underground dive, she's both infuriated and intrigued, and more than a little surprised to meet him under almost normal circumstances.

And a preview snippet…

Jonni Mars balled her hands into fists. "Philan Vellas needs to die." She stood over her best friend's body, Rochelle's neck twisted at an odd angle. "I know that bastard killed her."
And Jonni shouldered the blame. Rochelle called and begged Jonni to meet her at the waterfront. Rochelle wanted to come home, return to the gray way of living.
Jonni almost refused. Rochelle chose to go and embrace the black. The Vellas clan practiced the dark ways and ruthlessly policed their members. They also recruited heavily from the gray, the fringe dwellers that didn't have a chosen preference for either the white or the black.
Jonni bent down, careful to avoid moving her friend. "I should've been here." Instead, Jonni decided to let Rochelle wait it out a little.
And it cost Rochelle her life.
So what if Rochelle let a guy come between their friendship? Yeah, but the guy in question leads the Vellas clan. Big deal. True friends watched out for each other, even when they made shitty decisions. Not that Rochelle stood much of a chance once Philan set his sights on her. Rochelle succumbing to the black had everything to do with Philan's seductive ability, both physically and mentally.
Jonni sighed. "Look where it got you." Sprawled on a dock, pale and lifeless.
Rochelle couldn't or refused to do the things Philan requested of her. I can't do what he asks me to do. And he's angry all the time. Jonnie had tried to tell Rochelle. Philan burned through companions on a regular basis. None lasted long and if they didn't prove useful, he cut ties.
Or throats.
Jonni made a quick call to her handler, Butch Nelson, and explained what happened. He reacted pretty much as expected, only slightly more violently because of who it involved. Rochelle had blood ties to the second son of the ruling Marsoni family, illegitimate though they might be. The Marsoni clan claimed relatives from both the black and white factions, but always maintained their powerbase on the fringe, firmly in the gray.
Butch growled. "I'll send a cleanup crew. Don't even think about leaving until they get there." As if.
Jonni snorted. "You know I won't." She had enough rage to keep anyone at bay.
Butch lowered his voice. "Keep your schedule clear. I'll find out where the bastard is and give you free rein."
Jonnie like the sound of Butch's plan. She didn't have a lot of use for dark arts practitioners. Hell, she didn't care for the do-no-harm crowd either. Jonni's healthy dislike for both sides made her popular as an enforcer for the gray's ruling family. Her loyalty stayed with them. But taking out a clan leader would need a sanctioned warrant from the Marsonis.
Considering the blood tie, Jonni didn't doubt Butch would get one.
Jonni shook her head. "Daddy's not going to be happy, Rochelle." Mario Marsoni would want someone's head on a pike for the death of his daughter.
Jonni intended to deliver Philan Vellas's to him.

I'm excited to see where this one goes. The sages have a fairly clear idea of what's going to happen, but they sometimes decide to veer off into the unknown. LOL



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment