Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sunday Snippet: Mr and Mrs Black

Holy crap. What a week in TV—oh, and a kick awesome movie, too.

The Walking Dead's finale delivered the best ending line, maybe ever. Okay, maybe not ever, but damn close. I completely enjoyed Rick's journey over the entire season. And seriously, The Talking Dead and Chris Hardwick are so great. I love having that hour after TWD to decompress.

I have to take a moment to mention S.H.E.I.L.D. also. I'm one of the fans who completely enjoy the show, but the last several episodes have really amped up the drama and awesomeness. I'm excited to see what happens through the end of the season.

Arrow's Deathstroke blew my mind. Manu Bennett is truly remarkable in his performance. I love and hate him… at the same time. LOL I had a flurry of back and forth emails with a friend not long ago and one of the things we love the most about the show is how much Oliver totally screws up so much. His heart is usually in the right place, but he'll make the wrong call and everything blows up in his face. I, for one, love that about the show.

And finally… Bitten. Whoa. The season finale rocked!! I can't believe how much they crammed into forty-something minutes. I made the right call about who really pulled the strings, but I won't spoil anything here. LeBlanc and Santos got brilliantly awesome send offs. Basically, the perfect finale… even the very, very end. LOL I do have a bit of a quibble with Rachel, but I'm actually hoping there's more to her too stupid to live moments… and maybe my speculation will pay off regarding her. Come on, season two. *prays for news soon*

Last, but not least, gotta mention Captain America: Winter Soldier. I LOVED it. It's now at the top of my fave Marvel movies. I've always been a Cap girl anyway, but this movie just kicked major ass. And totally blew up the Marvel 'verse. LOL

My one and only gripe is having Natasha be former KGB. If her birthdate is 1984, the timeline doesn't fit since the KGB disbanded in something like 1991. Hmm… unless she joined at birth. *shrugs* It's a tiny blip. Besides, I can go with comic canon and assume she's doing the slow aging thing if I really need to. J

Whew… should get to the actual post, right? Tonight's snippet is from Mr and Mrs Black, an urban fae fantasy where my characters are on opposing sides, but don't know it.

Here's the tagline:

Ember and Winter Smoak, assassins for opposing fae factions, are ordered by their respective employers to kill each other, which would so much easier if they weren't happily married, but hiding some big secrets—like their occupations—from each other.

And a preview snippet…

"Black? Really?" Ember rolled her eyes.
Win scowled. "Yes, Black. What else would I choose? It's your favorite color."
Well, shit. He had her there. She did have a particular fondness for anything dark and mysterious. Hence her powerful attraction and deeply abiding love for Win. The man oozed shadowy, seductive charm. She'd been a sucker from the moment they met.
"Why did you pick Black?"
Ember shrugged. "Same reason." She waved a hand. "Not because it's my favorite color." She tilted her head to the side, studying him. "No, the name reminds me of you. You're like faceted ebony, all slick and smooth with unplumbed depths, but angled and sharp, too."
A wicked smirk curved his lips and she wanted to smack him.
"Shut up."  She spun around to gaze at the moon's reflection, rippling in the water.
He quirked a brow. "I didn't say anything."
She snorted. "Didn't have to. I know you better than anyone."
He moved forward and wrapped his arms around her from behind. "Yes, you do. I thought the same, but you've shown me wrong." His lips traveled along the column of her throat. "I had no idea you could be so… poetic with description." His teeth nipped her earlobe.
A sensuous shiver raced down her spine. "Mmmm. Good to know I can still surprise you." She turned, facing him. "Keeps things interesting." She lifted her chin, leaning in for a kiss.
He took it step further, backing her up against the window, his hands slowly inching the fabric of her pants lower and lower until her bare ass pressed the cool glass surface.
Ember moaned, wishing they had time to get act on carnal impulses, especially when he inserted two fingers inside her slick core. But they needed to handle some nasty business first.
She reluctantly stopped his sensual onslaught. "Win…" Her eyes met his. "I'd love to have you buried balls deep inside me, but we're working against the clock here." She tried to squirm out of his grasp. "I'm supposed to make a report within the hour."
Win leaned in, his lips hovering over hers. "I know, me, too." He briefly meshed his mouth with hers. "But trust me. We've got plenty of time, Ember." He trailed a line of kisses along her jawline.
She shuddered and bucked against his hand. "You, I trust. Our employers, not so much."
His seductive voice fanned over her ear. "Good, because you and I are going to beat them at their own game and I've already figured out how." He brushed his thumb back and forth over her clit. "Want the plan now, or later?" His fingers stilled.
Stupid question.
Her hands moved to his belt, loosening the buckle. "Later. Definitely later."
There's something about having a big secret that makes me happy when writing. J



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment