Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sunday Snippet: Underbelly

I'm so happy The Flash and Arrow are back! Also, Gotham and Sleepy Hollow had great returns. As always, Banshee threw me for a sideways spin, bringing something random in from last season to kick the story and plot forward in a totally new way. Gotta say I'm pretty thrilled the topic of who Hood is or is not is being raised. I'm so damned curious about his past, which I rather hope ties into the military heist plot thread. We'll know if I'm right in about seven more episodes. J

Caught up with The Librarians and would not be disappointed if that one gets another season. It's such a fun show! Also loving the news of an X-Files revival. I'm almost through season six of my rewatch so the information comes at a timely moment. J

Tonight's post is from Underbelly, an urban noir novella with main characters who work and play together.

Here's the tagline:

Jarrod Steele is a private investigator who deals with the weird and the unknown and can find anything his clients want. His super-efficient assistant, Maylin Rose, along with her unique skill set, makes sure of it.

And a preview snippet…

Maylin entered Jarrod's office and placed a file on his desk. "Schematics of the Barrowman's sublevel. It's gonna be a two man job, Jarrod." She propped a hip on the edge of the oak surface. "How's your black wardrobe? All clean and ready for the thieving?"
Jarrod opened the folder and reviewed her notes before answering. "I'm always ready for retrieval, Maylin. You know that." He leaned forward, sliding the file in her direction then pointed to her egress point. "This is five miles from the nearest road. We'll have Barrowman's security team, including the hounds, on our ass within two minutes of removing the hex cube." He glanced up. "How're we getting out?"
A slow smile spread across Maylin's face. "Got that covered already. Stashed a dirt bike in this little copse of trees." She pointed to the area. "And if that fails, I've got an ATV waiting across the river, here." Her finger landed on the spot where she'd hidden the other vehicle.
Jarrod settled back. "Got our asses covered, as usual." He closed the file. "Have I mentioned how terrific you are lately?"
Maylin smirked. "No, but you may wanna hold that thought." She nodded toward the folder. "I couldn't figure out a way to safely transport the damned cube out of the sublevel." She met his gaze. "Don't know about you, but I don't want any nasty side effects from handling that thing."
Jarrod held up a finger. "Ah… I have just the thing." He opened the bottom drawer of the desk. "Did I forget to mention I acquired a shaman's medicine bag?" He laid the leather pouch on the surface. "The contents will nullify the bad juju from the cube long enough for us to return it to its rightful owner."
Maylin put two fingers under his chin and raised his face. "Yes, you did forget to mention that very important fact." She leaned in close, her mouth hovering over his. "I'll let it slide this time." She gave him a quick, hard kiss. "But you get to carry it while I get us off the property."
Jarrod opened his mouth to argue, but stopped. "Fine. Have it your way." He stashed the bag back inside the drawer.
Maylin straightened, her lips curving upward. "I think I will, but since you're being a good sport, you can call the shots when we have our post retrieval romp at my place." She started for the door. "I'm heading out. Pick me up at ten." She glanced back over her shoulder. "I'll be the one dressed head to toe in black." Twisting the knob, she exited Jarrod's office to the sound of his hearty chuckle.
Jarrod and Maylin are my favorite kind of partners, true equals, even if their society doesn't recognize it.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment