Sunday, August 27, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Urban Grit

So… The Last Ship has a beyond awesome two-hour season premiere. I'm so happy this show is back on my television! I love where the characters are and I've added Meylan to my "do not kill" list. The showrunners better be listening or they're paying my bar tab at the end of the season. Just saying.

I'm making headway on my catch-up viewing of Killjoys, Dark Matter, and Wynonna Earp. Totally love where all three shows are going. Killjoys just makes me happy with the twisty turns it takes when I'm least expecting them. I didn't know if I'd be on board with the whole Aneela shtick, but I really like the small revelations we get here and there. Dark Matter can be uber confusing sometimes, but I like the overall arc of where things end up. Wynonna Earp blows my mind. The cast interactions are amazing and I'm so happy another season will be on tap.

Catching up on Teen Wolf and, yeah, Gerard being back makes things very interesting. I love the element of fear being almost personified. Looking forward to where everything ends up.

In casting news, one of my favorite actresses signed on to be a villain on The Flash. Looking forward to seeing what Katee brings to the table as a baddie.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Urban Grit, a novella that got a start with a request to write something in subway tunnels. I liked the idea and we'll see if I can work those tunnels into the story.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Keeley Fitz and Holt Matterworth produce and star in the reality docu-style web drama, Urban Grit. They shamelessly drag their friends along on their adventures where they try to bust and debunk urban myths… except they quickly learn most legends all have a basis in truth.

And a preview snippet…

Keeley Fitz adjusted the camera angle and handed the device to her friend Joanie Carson. "Get some shots of the furniture and décor. This stuff looks like it's straight out of Victorian England." Some of the items might fetch a nice price at auction, even if they weren't true antiques.
Holt Matterworth, Keeley's partner in everything, shook his head. "Keels, we talked about this. No one cares what the interior of the haunted house looks like." He nudged the fourth occupant of the room with his shoulder. "Back me up on this, Dean."
Dean Wallander shrugged. "Considering we're in the middle of the city and this old place looks like it's never seen an upgrade or reno, I'm kind of with Keeley." He shot Holt an apologetic glance. "Can't hurt to showcase the creepy ambiance."
Holt sighed. "Fine. Keeley, while you and Joanie are getting atmosphere shots, Dean and I will actually try to find whatever is supposedly haunting this place." He picked up a second camera and started for the foyer.
Keeley motioned for Joanie to continue filming then followed the guys. "Holt, hold up a moment." She grabbed his arm and tugged him around to face her. "For luck." She bounced up on her tiptoes and brushed her lips over his.
He grinned and hauled her close. "You can do better than that." His head lowered and he slanted his mouth over hers, his tongue sweeping inside to duel with hers.
Keeley melted against him, fisting her hands in his shirt. Holt might get a little cranky when shoots didn't go his way, but he never failed to respond when she tried to make amends. Their chemistry made their web series, Urban Grit, incredibly popular.
Dean cleared his throat. "Hello? Trying to get footage for your next episode. You don't see Joanie and me making out while we're trying to work."
Holt lifted his head and shot Dean a sideways glance. "Perks of being the producer instead of a lowly employee." His mouth caught Keeley's in a quick, hard kiss.
Joanie snorted. "Employees get paid. Friends only go along for the ride."
Keeley laughed. "Only the best of friends, which you and Dean are." She stepped away from Holt. "Go, you two. We won't be long." She swept an arm out. "Seriously, we can't pass up the opportunity to catalog the vintage style here." Crossing over to Joanie, she waved at the man when they exited the room.
Joanie shook her head. "You know I'm not serious about the being paid thing, right?" She panned the room, taking sweeping shots of the walls.
Keeley moved the limited light they had, shining it on the fireplace. "I know. But with sponsorship growing and the new advertising packages, don't be surprised if you and Dean get a big bonus around the holidays." A bright sheen caught her attention and she moved closer to the mantel with the light. "You're both popular with our viewers so, who knows, maybe we can convince you guys to take on a bigger role than being tagalongs." The source of the almost ethereal shine turned out to be an ornate sconce flanking one side of the painted brick chimney.
The taper candle tilted at an angle and the holder listed to one side.
Joanie moved up behind Keeley, pointing the camera at the fireplace. "Wow, that's gorgeous." She used her free hand to straighten the candleholder. "Such intricate detailing and scrollwork. I haven't seen—" Joanie gasped. "Ouch! Damn, that hurt." She shook her hand then brought her finger to her mouth. "Ugh. I cut myself on one of the leaves." Several beads of blood welled on her skin.
Keeley grabbed Joanie's palm, getting a look at the injury. "Let's get this cleaned up. I have a bottle of water in the camera bag. We should at least flush the area and put some antibiotic ointment and a band-aid on it." She dragged Joanie to the equipment bundle and fished around to find the needed items.
Joanie turned the camera off. "I'm such a klutz. I know better than to start messing with furniture."
They had a close call last year when a chandelier nearly fell on top of them when they moved a dust-cover clad sofa.
Keeley chuckled. "This is minor. At least we're not sweeping up glass and paying for damages." She checked the pinprick wounds. "Looks like the bleeding stopped. Let me get a band-aid." After applying ointment, she wound the sheer strip over the injured spot.
Joanie wiggled her finger. "All better. Except for the throbbing. Why do such small boo-boos hurt so bad?" She grabbed the camera again and turned it back on.
Keeley shrugged. "Getting hurt in the line of non-paid duty always stings." She started for the foyer. "Let's find the guys and see if we can stay out of trouble."
Joanie laughed and followed behind.

Neither woman noticed the eerie reddish-orange glow that rippled around the sconce then burst into form before landing on the floor in front of the fireplace.

I like how this scene came together and it might serve as the opening to the book.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment