Sunday, September 17, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Variations on Violence

The Last Ship continues with its excellence. The tough love from Captain Meylan and Master Chief is something Chandler needed. I loved the twisty twist of "Hello, Fletch". I'm very interested in seeing what he does. Can't wait for tonight's episode.

Teen Wolf continues bringing old faces back and I'm so happy! At this point, I'm ready for the guidance counselor to die already. Truly, I pretty much hate her. Gerard is a love to hate character, but the counselor… not so much. She's just annoyingly irritating.

I got started on The Defenders and quite like it so far. The way the four main characters are coming together is pretty terrific and the snark is spot on. Should get at least one more episode in today.

Also started season seven of Hawaii Five-0. I'm enjoying the episodes so far. Not sure I'll be down with a season eight without Chin and Kono so this might be my last season.

I'll be starting the British show Fearless soon. Can't wait to watch Jamie Bamber on my screen again. Which means… I'll probably be binge watching the BSG marathon on Syfy next weekend. LOL

Oh! Terrific news. Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is going super-sized and coming to the big screen. The crowdsourcing campaign reached its initial goal within forty-eight hours and the funds are still rolling in. Can't wait to see what the movie brings.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Variations on Violence, a novella in the First Breed series.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Nichol Gothe and Brewster Walters, two detectives in the major crimes unit, go undercover to bust up rebel alliance in the under city. But when Nichol has to use her meta-human ability, Brewster can't decide whether to trust she's working for justice or turn her in to the task force commander. Nichol sends him reeling when she reveals how deeply the secret society of freaks and geeks has infiltrated the regular human world.

And a preview snippet…

Raven stood when Nichol approached. "Detective Gothe, thanks for coming." Her hand shot forward and a smile crossed her face.
The gesture transformed the already attractive woman into a vision of beauty. Nichol automatically shook Raven's hand with a firm grip, but couldn't seem to look away from the piercing gaze of the woman who'd given so many of Nichol's kind refuge. Nichol would swear she didn't do the awestruck thing, but meeting Raven in person probably counted as being close.
She blinked and finally let go of Raven's palm. "Er, sorry." Settling across from the woman when Raven sat down, Nichol got her shit together. "I'm happy to meet. Captain Daniels mentioned you wanted to brief me on the undercover op." The urge to pepper the woman with questions fought hard to win the moment.
But Nichol resisted. She owed Raven the respect of waiting at least five full minutes before diving into a Q&A with her.
Raven's lips curved and she nodded. "Yes, I asked him for this meeting." She studied Nichol a moment. "But first, you're wondering why the hell I'm saddling you with Brewster Walters, aren't you?" The smile disappeared and one eyebrow arched.
Nichol flushed, a little unnerved by Raven's perception. "Well… in a word… yeah." Hopefully, she didn't sound bitchy, but the idea of taking a normal into the underground sure seemed crazy.
Raven raked a hand through her hair. "How much do you know about my story? Not about being the leader of the underground, but about my origin."
Nichol lifted a shoulder. "As much as most of us do. You have the same messed up DNA the rest of us have, but you were also experimented on, which enhanced your latent abilities, right?" Raven became the leader of the freaks and geeks because she had a foot on both sides.
Raven lifted her chin. "Yeah, that about covers it." Her tone indicated further discussion wouldn't happen. "And that brings us to the reason I want Brewster with you working the underground…" Her voice trailed off and she pursed her lips for a moment.
Nichol quirked an eyebrow. "Which is…" Impertinent maybe, but she didn't like beating around the issue.
Raven placed her elbows on the table. "Brewster Walters was at the same research facility I escaped from." She leaned forward a little and lowered her voice. "And… he has no idea he's one of us."
Nichol blinked, stunned stupid.
Well, hell.

I love this potential series and hope I can find the time to finish writing a couple of the stories I want to tell.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment