Sunday, June 18, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Think Twice

June 18, 2017

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. My Dad is off on a grand adventure with my middle kid. They're in Alaska, which, oddly enough, is where my dad spent last Father's Day. From the pictures I've seen, they're having a great time.

It's been a crazy week. I need to rewatch Dark Matter. I had too many distractions going on and I feel like I missed important stuff. Wynonna Earp delivered another great episode. I like some of the twists and turns. I don't like losing Dawls and I'm a little iffy on the new evil overlord chick but I'll give this series a lot of leeway to provide a terrific viewing experience. I'm going to have a hard time wrapping my brain around Kevin Hanchard playing a possible bad guy when he's one of my favorite good guys on Orphan Black.

Speaking of Orphan Black, I have to catch up. We had busy Saturday and I missed the second episode. Thank whatever rules the universe for On Demand. LOL

I have the new ITV drama Fearless ready to go, but haven't had an opportunity to watch yet. I'm looking forward to seeing Jamie Bamber on television again.

I'm almost finished with my binge watch of City Homicide. I'll be seeking my next Australian drama in the very near future. Possibly a binge watch of Sea Patrol, another of my favorites.

Started a premiere viewing of Young Justice on Netflix. Four episodes in and I'm excited about the possibilities.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Think Twice, a novella that got its start and took its title from the two-word prompt "think twice".

Here's the mini-blurb:

When Judd Millian asks Pru Watson to work with him to take out the evil invading their city, she doesn't hesitate to say yes. But when he wants something more, she hesitates, unable to commit to an answer. The indecision drives a wedge between them, but Pru won't let Judd get sucked into the worst part of her past.

And a preview snippet…

Pru Watson didn't think twice when she stepped into the hail of bullets flying from the automatic rifles. The people behind her scrambled to a semblance of safety, taking cover behind the counter of the bus station. The spray of spent ammo bounced off Pru's form, landing with loud, metallic pings on the marble floor. The sound of casings played a weird, harmonic symphony when they flew from the weapons.
One lone woman stood off to the side, too terrified to move. Pru drew the fire from three masked, armed people and made her way to the lady.
Grabbing her arm, Pru spoke quietly. "Get behind me." She provided a bulletproof shield until the female finally crouched with her coworkers.
Once everyone appeared to be out of harm's way, Pru walked toward the masked figures. The group closed ranks and circled around her, slowing down the rain of fire to avoid shooting each other. She'd rattled the trio, holes appearing in her clothing from the gunfire but no blood or wounds. Ever since she'd come awake in a clandestine lab three years ago, she had the ability to make her body impervious to harm. Bullets, knives, fire, heat, subzero temperatures? Nothing. No damage. She wore a brand on her right shoulder—probably received before whatever happened to her happened. The number eight inside an "X".
"What the hell is up with this bitch? Why isn't she dead yet?" The tallest of the three-man attack team reloaded his rifle.
Pru's lips curved and she veered in his direction, making the other two cease firing or risk hitting their cohort. "Maybe that should tell you something, big man." She got within three feet of him and he tossed the gun aside and reached out, locking his arm around hers.
Her fighting skill needed work, but she held her position. His buddies moved closer, pinning her in. Exactly what she wanted.
The big guy smirked, the mouth opening of his mask making the action look bizarre. "What're you gonna do now, sweetheart?" His voice had a rough rumble to it.
Pru jerked her arm from his grasp.
The short, squat goon to her left snorted. "Not much she can do. We've got her trapped."
The final henchman grunted. "I wouldn't underestimate her. There's some freaky juju happening here."
Pru bit back a grin. They had no idea. Hell, she didn't either but not knowing wouldn't stop her from diverting their attention from the hostages.
She started a slow three hundred and sixty-degree turn. "Come on, fellas. You've got me." She came to a stop. "What's the plan?"
The tall one lunged for her and she sidestepped, driving her shoulder into the short guy while the third man went tumbling to the ground, taking the weight of the tall one.
She made a move to face the little dude but didn't have the opportunity to square off. The doors burst open and an army of black-clad operators came pouring into the stations from all entrances. Pandemonium ensued and Pru ducked for cover… the sea of militarized people kicking her heart rate into overdrive.
"I gotta get out of here." Grabbing hold of a railing, she swung upward, climbing into an overhang on the second floor.
She wouldn't stick around long, but needed to make sure the hostages got out without harm. Then she'd do what she always did.
Run.

Pru will give it a good shot, but she won't get far.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment