Sunday, August 19, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Hot Target

Yeesh, another crazy-busy week. And it's allergy season for me, so… yay. Not.

I had a particularly lengthy manuscript with formatting issues so my viewing schedule dwindled again this week. As usual, I caught marathons of Murder, She Wrote and In the Heat of the Night as background for much of the week.

I caught a CW Seed pilot called Cupid's Match. Gotta say that one looked kind of interesting. Also watched Pensacola: Wings of Gold and another episode of Lexx.

I ended up starting and not finishing another Hallmark Movie. I apparently like the mysteries way better than the meet-cutesy ones. Still… I'll keep sampling.

On DVD, I caught two Batman movies. Bad Blood and The Killing Joke. Both were pretty decent and I enjoyed the more adult-oriented storyline.

Finished season four of Strike Back and I'm geared up for season five. Looking forward to seeing if I like the new cast as much as I loved the previous one.

I'm almost finished with season six of Chicago Fire. I truly love where the cast is right now. Of course, there's a major shake-up for season seven so I'm not sure how I'll like that.

Caught a sci-fi marathon of original series Battlestar Galactica, Kolchak, the Night Stalker, Lost in Space, and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea last night. I love revisiting some of those classic shows.

And that's it for television this week. I'm behind on Wynonna and Killjoys, but should catch up this week. Fingers crossed. Tonight's post is from Hot Target, a novella that got a start with a sci-fi prompt but the sages wanted to go fae / fantasy on this one. Who am I to argue?

Here's the mini-blurb:

Yates and Baylor work undercover for the mage council. They make a great team, but rarely see eye to eye. When their magical brethren start dropping like flies, one of them must become a hot target. Yates decides he'll do it… Baylor's a better shot.

And a preview snippet…

Yates kept a watchful eye on Baylor when they hit one of their usual haunts, a bar called Guppy's in the center of downtown. "You're quiet." He pulled the door open and had her precede him inside.
Baylor sent him a sideways glance. "I'm focused. There's a difference." She made a left, sticking to the perimeter of the dim and smoky interior.
Yates didn't counter her excuse. She walked the razor's edge of keeping it together and she could think what she wanted.
As for him? He believed her to be about one step away from unleashing vengeance on anyone who pissed her off. And that wouldn't be him.
Taking the opposite direction, he made his way along the right rear wall. He'd hit the corner when he spotted Drake Unger, low man on the totem pole for a black market dealer—one who kept his ear to the ground for useful tidbits of information. Drake pulled in a hefty sum with his side business of selling said intelligence.
Making his way over, Yates stopped at the table and jerked his head toward the rear exit. Drake inclined his chin and Yates moved forward, heading for the back corridor to wait. Unger didn't dawdle, arriving within a few moments.
"Bannerson, what can I do for you?" Drake's gaze scanned the confined space, a safety precaution for a guy in his line of work.
Yates got the point. "Give me anything you have on the death of Margo Penschot."
Unger's eyes went wide. "Why do you think I know anything about it?" The way his gaze shifted sideways gave him away.
Yates propped a shoulder on the wall. "Come on, Unger. You've got your finger on the pulse of the city. If nothing else, you've heard a whisper or two about her death." Probably more, but Yates wouldn't push hard.
Yet.
Drake shrugged. "Okay, I might have heard a rumor, nothing substantiated, but there's a new player in town." He leaned in close and lowered his voice. "And he's got a hard-on for someone. Not sure if Margo's death is connected and no one knows this guy's name yet." Straightening, Drake rubbed his fingers together, indicating he wanted payment.
Yates pulled a twenty from his wallet. "Consider this a down payment. If you hear anything else, contact me directly."
Drake frowned. "Are you kidding? That's a fifth of what I expected."
Yates quirked a brow. "You'd rather I bring Baylor, Margo's best friend, over and let her explain how things are going to work?"
Drake blanched and snagged the twenty. "Uh, no. I'd rather not tangle with her right now." Stuffing the money in his pocket, he shuffled around Yates and made a retreat to his table.
Yates snorted. "Thought you'd see things my way." He reentered the main bar and looked around for Baylor.
She had her back to him, talking with the bartender. Her agitated movements indicated a heated discussion. When she drew her fist back, Yates hurried over and caught her before she could let it fly.
He wrapped an arm around her and nudged her toward the door. "Time to go, Bay. I've got some news."

I'm excited about seeing where this one goes. I love characters in peril and outsmarting their adversary.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment