Sunday, September 2, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Ill-Timed Case

Greetings, September! I decided to start at least thinking about what to do for holiday shopping this year. I'm fairly certain I've decided the direction I want to go in for the kids and the husband. Possibly even my parental unit. This never happens. I fully expect the world to stop spinning sometime in the near future. Just saying.

Had a super crazy and busy week, but still got some solid viewing in. Granted, I did end up doing the usual marathons of Murder, She Wrote and In the Heat of the Night. I also got a solid block of The Saint in. Also got two episodes of Classic Who watched.

I started Sunday with Midsomer Murders then followed with Babylon 5 and The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Monday, I caught the Birds of Prey pilot episode. I loved this show so much when it premiered. Tuesday was Pensacola Wings of Gold. Wednesday, I watched another episode of Lexx and on Thursday, I watched Surprised by Love, a Hallmark original. Finally found one I thoroughly enjoyed.

On Friday, I started season five of Strike Back. I got interrupted during the first episode so I'll finish it over the weekend. I did finish Band of Brothers, which is one of my rewatch at any time shows.

Saturday has been a big block of The Saint again. Not sure what else I'll get into but I'm writing the blog post a little early so it's out of the way.

Still behind on Killjoys and Wynonna Earp, but I'll definitely make sure to watch every single episode in the near future.

That's it for this week. Tonight's post is from Ill-Timed Case, a novella that got its start with a scene prompt of welcome to [character A]'s private investigations where [character B] is a prime suspect. Seriously… I love prompts that make vivid images pop up in my head.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Rex Van Adder, private investigator, has more cases than he can handle. Enter Gracie Lee, along with a dead body, and Rex scrambles to keep his head above water, especially since he knows Gracie is involved but can't figure out how.

And a preview snippet…

Rex returned to his office-cum-home away from home. Pouring a drink, he settled behind the desk with the lightning and thunder flashing and booming in the wee hours. He tried to focus on the filmed footage of the crime scene from McGuiness's murder. Thoughts of the beautiful woman kept distracting him.
Downing the liquor in his glass, he shook his head. "Damn, Rex. You're as bad as Marlow, letting your head get turned by a gorgeous female." He poured another round and almost got another gulp in before his phone rang. "Van Adder." Only one person would call this late aside from Avery.
His father's voice boomed. "Rex, what the hell happened to McGuiness?" Irritation and frustration traveled over the connection.
Rex rolled his eyes. "Hey, Dad. Nice weather we're having." Another crash of thunder and flash of lightning split the sky.
Mel Van Adder growled low in his throat. "Dammit, Rex. I don't have time for pleasantries. What. Happened?" A hint of desperation crept into his tone.
Rex sighed. "Look, I'm not sure yet, Dad. The police are working the case." He braced for the angry response.
Mel didn't fail. "Well, what the hell are you going to do? I need the information he had about who wanted the gems and the location of his."
As if Rex didn't know the reason he'd been hired to provide security. The legend of the gemstones and what they could be used for had his father in a lathered frenzy. Mel Van Adder wanted to reclaim the five jewels and keep them under lock and key.
Rex pinched the bridge of his nose and took a deep breath. "Dad, the guy is dead." Meaning they'd have to approach purchasing the stones from a different angle. "But I might have a lead the cops don't know about. I need to do some research and surveillance, but I'll let you know what I discover." If he could get back to viewing the footage.
And keep a certain brunette from intruding on his thoughts.
Mel grumbled his acceptance. "Fine. See that you do." He paused a moment. "And call your mother. You know she worries about you." Because Mel kept putting Rex in dangerous situations.
Rex snorted. "Right, Dad. How about I call her later in the morning.  You know she won't appreciate me waking her up at three am." A not so gentle reminder of the ungodly hour.
Mel signed off. "Fine. Fine. Just don't forget." He cut the call.
Rex shook his head again. "Gee, Dad, thanks for calling."
Sipping his drink, he went back to running the camera footage, hoping to discover where his beautiful lady went.

I have so much fun writing stories with a noir feel. My fondest hope is a new romance subgenre is created for urban noir.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment