Sunday, February 19, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Standing Out

Had a weird week. The weather is still doing the yucky back and forth stuff, which makes me unhappy. My sinuses go insane when the temperature rises and falls and won't make up its mind.

Still super busy with work projects. I think I'm slowing down productivity-wise and that's disappointing, but I also tend to not work on three projects at the same time.

Not a bad week for television but I didn't get a lot watched. I did finish up the Silent Witness episode I started last week. Nikki ends up in trouble on a frequent basis and I like that she's always willing to put herself out there to solve a mystery.

I started a new season of Strangest Things and should have it finished up later this week. I kind of love digging into weird things from history and watching the group of commenters explain what they think things are.

I also caught another episode of Battlestar Galactica. "Water" is a terrific episode that lays the groundwork for a lot of what follows in the rest of the season. Frankly, the first season of Battlestar is as close to perfect as anything I've seen. There's not a wasted episode in the batch of thirteen. There are stronger episodes, obviously, but every installment has important information and terrific character moments. I'm so excited to watch another episode this week!

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Standing Out, a follow-up to Blending In.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Wren Bingman and Ethan Scott stop a planned attack on their fae city and take down some key members of the group responsible. But when Ethan is kidnapped the following week, Wren suspects retaliation and vows to bring him back. To do so, she'll have to dig deep into the hierarchy of the ruling council, because she's convinced there's a mole in the organization.

And a preview snippet…

Ethan Scott didn't like being held captive—especially when he'd finally found his perfect match.

Shit. Wren could be in danger.

Not that Wren Bingman couldn't handle herself in dangerous situations. She absolutely could and did on a regular basis. She had an enviable skill set of blending in with the lowest of the low, which served her well in their line of work.

His lips curved. "And it's a big part of why I fell for her."

And damn if he didn't miss her and get pissed off every time he thought about not being with her … or bringing her the promised coffee after he'd left her bed at three a.m.

A full damn week ago.

He'd been sitting and cooling his heels in a cold, dark cell for that same duration.

At least he'd put the time to good use. "I know who my captors are." The Sons of Orion. "I know their weak spots." He'd had plenty of time to learn their habits, strengths, and how to hit them where it would hurt—which he planned to do soon.

He needed a little more time to figure a few things out. Like how the three-man team found him at Wren's. He'd received a call from his superior officer to come in for an important briefing, which meant Wren probably got a call from her commander for the same thing, hence the reason she could be in danger or already be a captive in a different location. The main reason he hadn't made an escape yet … he wanted to find out if Wren got snagged, too.

When he did get away from the Sons of Orion, he had a plan. "As long as Wren isn't caught up in this mess, she's the only one I'll trust." His kidnapping reeked of an inside source.

Which meant his SO could be involved … whether the guy knew it or not.

Ethan got up and paced the six-by-ten space again. "Forty-eight hours then it's so long, dickheads. Just try to find me again…"

I'm having a lot of fun with this follow-up. Ethan is going to give Wren a run for her money with being covert and cagey.

That's it for this week.


 

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment