Sunday, September 17, 2023

Sunday Snippet: X Plus Y

Our fall-like weather remained with us … to the point we had record lows. I have to laugh a little because it's like a yoyo swinging up and down with record temperatures in both directions. It's nuts.

Had a very solid work week. Possible new projects that I'm excited about and finishing up a big one, which feels really good.

Not a bad week for viewing television. I didn't make it through two times like last week but had almost a full rotation of the shows I normally watch.

Enjoyed another Agatha Raisin episode. I'm settling in with this cast of characters and I love the village vibe. Looking forward to more episodes.

Started a new Silent Witness two-parter and I'm really interested in where this one goes and what's going on at the Lyle. The second half should be terrific.

Caught the finale for season two of Death in Paradise. I'm a little sad because the season three opener is obviously the loss of one of the main characters. But I'm excited to start in with a new character.

Watched another Fantasy Island episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm also happy to report Roark and Javier seem to be on better footing and the angst factor did not get amped to ten or above. A pleasant surprise. The whole deal with Ruby should be interesting to watch unfold. Not sure how I want things to go there.

Enjoyed another episode of The Batman. This one featured Firefly and I kind of loved the Bruce and Alfred banter in this episode.

Caught another episode of Classic Rugrats and loved it. One part had the babies journeying to the basement ala Indiana Jones style. The second one had the full set of McNultys for a birthday party. So much fun.

Started another episode of VIP but didn't make it all the way through. Too many interruptions to finish, but I hope to get the rest watched today.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from X Plus Y, a novella that brings DNA into the equation for a couple.

Here's the miniblurb:

Vail Gault and Wolf Vermassey have a wicked, powerful attraction for each other. Too bad their clans are brutal rivals in the underground world of meta-human politics. Pitted against each other, they can never be more than opponents in a cage match who happen to have sex that makes their sparring matches look like cake walks.

And a preview snippet…

Wolf's adopted grandfather called Wolf into his private chamber. He spread his hands, indicating Wolf should have a seat. Wolf declined. Whatever the old man said, Wolf wouldn't be sticking around long.

Malton sighed and settled in the chair closest to the fire. "Are you serious about handfasting with the Gault girl?" His eyebrows arched in question.

Wolf didn't hesitate, he answered truthfully. "Yes." The old man wouldn't get more until he got to whatever point he wanted to make.

Malton studied him for a long moment. "Did you lie when you said you had no emotional feeling for her?" The question came out on a raspy growl.

Wolf again answered honestly. "No. I didn't have an emotional connection to her at the time." Mainly because he'd refused to look deeper … a stupid mistake.

The elder quirked his eyebrow.

Wolf continued in more detail. "Listen, old man, when I discovered my feelings, I tried to do right and move on." He laid everything out.

The refusal to see Vail or seek her out. The choice to move away from cage fighting. The constant resisting temptation.

Vail finally sat down. "But I can't fight the pull." He didn't want to anymore.

Vermassey sighed again. "There's a reason you can't." He stared into the flames. "She's got the extra Y gene." He turned and met Wolf's gaze. "And you've got the additional X one."

If the old man had dropped a bomb in the room, Wolf wouldn't have blinked. But this? This had Wolf's head snapping back in disbelief.

Wolf scoffed. "That's bullshit. Only royal bloodlines have the extra genes." And he definitely didn't come from Vermassey stock, despite his acquired last name.

Malton gave a nod. "Yes, that's true." He laid a gnarled hand on Wolf's. "You're my grandson, Wolf. You were fathered by my oldest child." His free hand fisted on the arm of the chair. "He wouldn't claim you, but as soon as I found out, I did. And your father went to his grave not knowing, by my design." His gruff statement belied the internal rage he held for his deceased son.

Wolf honestly didn't have a clue how to respond … so he said nothing.

The chieftain, hell, his grandfather, held Wolf's gaze. "You have to know mixing the two bloodlines could create chaos. Any child of yours will be potential threats." His tone held no malice, which actually meant the peril wouldn't come from the council.

But … old grievances could. Over my dead body. If he and Vail had children, anyone coming after them would have to get through both.

Then again … mixing the bloodlines could also go the other direction.

Wolf countered. "Any children we have could also be potential guardians and buffers by uniting the houses." Rivalries could end.

Malton's lips curved in a partial smile. "Only time will tell, my boy. Only time will tell."

This one took a twist I didn't expect, and I'm happy with how everything is falling into place.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment