Sunday, February 18, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Conjuring Justice

It's been a rough week where my brain wants to do anything but focus on work. We also got eight inches of snow on Friday and the temps dropped way down again. My sinuses are not happy at the moment.

Not a bad week of viewing television. The whole distraction thing kind of kept me from getting a full slate watched. I did get through most of my normal shows.

I started out with My Life Is Murder. I kind of like the new assistant but I'm wondering what's going on the Maddie. I also love seeing actors from other shows pop up on this one. I didn't realize how much Australian and New Zealand shows I've been watching.

Caught another episode of Agatha Raisin and finished up the two-parter. Kind of wigged out that James is getting married to someone else. But I loved the interactions in this one.

Continued the eight-part, I think, Silent Witness. This season is very intriguing with a lot of twists and turns. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything plays out.

Enjoyed another episode of Death in Paradise and didn't remember seeing any of this one. Happy to have it in the watched pile.

Watched another episode of Elementary. The introduction of Moriarity is something I've looked forward to. Not sure how I feel about Joan lying to Sherlock, but I'll reserve judgment until I see how it rolls on screen.

Caught another episode of The Batman. Enjoyed seeing Scarface again. Also liked peeling back the layers of Hugo Strange. He's an intriguing character.

Enjoyed another episode of Classic Rugrats. I don't remember either of them from the original run and liked both. Such a fun show.

Also watched another episode of The Secret Life of Amy Benson. Very interesting twist with Maggie coming back. I can definitely see how the books this series is based on would captivate readers. I do think there's a little loss of translation from the page to screen, but I really love this series a lot.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Conjuring Justice, an experimental novella that closely follows the plot and storyline of a contemporary novella I'm also working on.

Here's the miniblurb:

A mesmer that practices the dark arts uses Koren Milnar, a skilled conjurer, to take out an entire mage council. She's taken into custody by Talbot Lindsay, a dream walker who is tasked with discovering what prompted Koren's wild spree. The dream walker gradually earns Koren's trust—while trying to avoid falling for her—and uncovers a sinister plot that leads back to her childhood.

And a preview snippet…

Koren Milnar watched the medallion spinning back and forth, listening to the monotone voice behind her as it counted backward from one hundred. Her eyelids drooped and she hated the pull against her will. At twelve, she didn't understand the intricacies of hypnosis, but she agreed to be put under. Seventeen-year-old Jamma Sager, the hypnotist and resident mesmer, convinced the group home matron it would be a fun experiment for the younger kids in the residence.

What a load of crap.

He wanted to get back at Koren for being able to resist his mesmer ability. She didn't know how she did it, but she blocked him with a shield. He couldn't make her do anything he directed her to do, and the idea drove him mad.

Jamma opened with a soothing tone. "Koren, you're relaxed now, and open to all suggestions. Do you understand?"

She automatically responded, "Yes, Jamma."

"Good, good." He placed the shiny medal aside and moved in closer. "Do you remember what we're doing?"

Koren nodded. "Yes, Jamma."

"And what is that, Koren?" His voice took on a lilting tone.

She sank deeper into the hypnosis. "Practicing for the fun show you want to put on for the other kids."

Jamma's voice hovered against her right ear. "And what else are we doing today, Koren?"

She didn't hesitate with her answer. "Sowing the seeds to get past my shield."

Jamma smiled. "Good, Koren, very good."

I love the idea of putting a paranormal spin on a contemporary story I'm also writing. If all goes well, I'll be doing a science fiction version also.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment