Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sunday Snippet: Led Astray

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone is getting a great start to the new year. I kind of love this time. It's almost like a period of renewal. I jot down goals or revisit past ones to see my progress. Last year, I got more accomplished than I realized, which makes me excited for 2015.

On the television front, I finally sat down and watched Ascension and I’m sooooo glad I did! If Syfy gives a green light to make it a series, I'll be a happy camper. I also took some time and got started on The Librarians and I'm charmed by the show. It's a little campy and ridiculous, but I don't care. It's fun, lighthearted, and reminds me a lot of Warehouse 13, which I loved.

Looking forward to the return of my regular viewing treats and the start of the new seasons for Banshee and Bitten.

Tonight's post is from Led Astray, a novella with main characters at cross-purposes, but they have to work together.

Here's the tagline:

Gia Schmidt is tasked with bringing Orrick Triolo around to her clan's way of thinking, but he proves a hard case to crack, even with her considerable skills. Orrick's got something she wants but if she's not careful, he'll lead her astray instead of the other way around.

And a preview snippet…

Okay, a pissed off Orrick didn't rate with anything she planned. She needed him in her corner, helping her, not all steely-eyed angry… even though he wore that particular look extremely well.
Shaking off the thought, Gia tried to get him to see her side. "Look, Orrick, why can't you—"
He cut her off with a low growl. "Just drive." He kept his eyes straight ahead, his jaw clenching then relaxing. "Just. Drive. Don't do or say anything else." The rumble and rasp of his voice brooked no argument.
Gia studied him a moment, weighing the pros and cons of trying to reach him. The cons won. She put the car in gear and pulled out into traffic. The drive to the estate would last at least thirty minutes, hopefully enough time for him to cool off and see reason.
"Turn left at the next intersection." He made it sound like an order.
Gia slid a quick glance in his direction. "That's not the quickest way to Manor Glen." She stayed in the middle lane, but slowed down.
Orrick nodded. "We're not going there. Turn left." His jaw worked again. "Or I bail. Right now."
Turning her blinker on, Gia complied, moving into the correct lane. "Where, exactly, are we going?" A hard knot formed in her gut, unease creeping up her spine.
Orrick finally turned his gaze in her direction. "To the caves. Got a problem with that?"
Oh, hell yes, she had a big ass problem with the idea, but she wouldn't give him the satisfaction of confirmation.
Instead, she lifted a shoulder. "It's going to be a long drive. You might want to get comfortable." She made the left, heading out of the city.
Orrick visibly relaxed and shifted his position, stretching out his long legs. Gia bit back a heavy sigh. Didn't it just figure? His calm edged her tension into high gear.
Ahhh. I love writing tension between characters. So much fun.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment