Sunday, March 4, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Casting Spells (A Lantern Jack Short)

My incredible and awesome gram left the world at around 1AM this morning. She gave me the very best adventures while I grew up and I'm going to miss her something fierce. As she said the last time I had the chance to be with her, "It's no picnic getting old." But she aged with beauty and grace. Considering I'm pretty much the spitting image of her, I hope I have the same experience.

It was a pretty great week for television. Legends of Tomorrow had a great episode. I loved having Wally and Rip together for an adventure and the whole pirate scenario kicked ass. I'm always sad when the show gets nitpicked to death. That said, it's not perfect, but I like that it isn't.

I missed the new episode of The Flash, but I'll catch up soon. Black Lightning turned out a good hour. I like having more of the pieces and outing the new kid on the block to her parents ended up being way better than I expected.

Arrow broke my heart. This is still one of my very favorite shows and having the two teams battling each other kills me. I'm not sure where the whole Laurel storyline is going, but I'm interested in seeing how it plays out. I'm really excited to have Roy return even if he'll probably get tortured… again.

I'm almost finished with season four of Chicago Fire. Still pretty thrilled with the overall arcs of the characters and I loved Mouch and Trudy's wedding. I have a new DVD to watch tonight and then I think it's on to season five.

I finished the first season of The Punisher. Gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The guy I actively wanted to die at the end is still kicking but I'm okay with that. The other one I wanted to see die a horrible death got what he had coming, so there's that. Here's hoping there's a season two.

I have to play catch-up with Gotham's newest episode. I'm also getting a few of my foreign shows lined up. Murdoch Mysteries and Marcella are on tap when I can find a few spare hours. Looking forward to both!

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Casting Spells, a sexy short featuring witches and warlocks along with Lantern Jack.

Here's the mini-blurb:

The Lantern Jack is back to right another wrong. Celia Carmichael is overwhelmed by her new role as coven head and she's determined to learn all she can about the familiar who chose her, the cat named Haven. Nyx Nolan is on a mission to discover where the remains of his ancestor, the warden of warlocks is buried. The man disappeared over a century ago and left a signet ring and a photo for Nyx as the only clue to his whereabouts. Celia and Nyx discover their histories are entwined and they have the power to lay the animosity between the witches and the warlocks to rest.

And a preview snippet…

Another Samhain and another chance to put some wrongs to right. This year, Lantrien Jacquard, aka Lantern Jack, would further ease his curse by putting another notch in the solved column. He'd be one step closer to finding peace. And no longer being forced to live his days as a jack-o-lantern.
My love, my queen, I long to be with you again.
Over the past two Halloween seasons, he'd successfully ended a long-standing feud between the wizards and the sorcerers and managed to bring the werewolves and the keepers back together. This year, the stars had aligned to give Jack the opportunity to ease the discord between the witches and the warlocks. The Carmichael coven used to be strong and prolific, creating powerful witches who communed with the elements for the greater good of their chosen communities. The Nolan warden managed to become a sprawling empire, with warlocks taking prominent positions in industry and local politics.
Long ago, Jack sowed the seeds of discontent and broke up the ruling families. The Carmichael women once dominated the community with a coven that numbered in the hundreds. Jack winced. "Now you're down to a little over two dozen in Paradise Valley." They had other far-flung members, but their power receded as more moved away. "Your numbers have waned, but you're still fierce and productive, aren’t you, Celia?"
The Nolans had the opposite concern. The warden's membership stayed strong and centrally located in Bluff's Peak. But they were tetherless, without a true leader. Nyx Nolan had staked a claim as the defacto head of the Nolan warden. He kept the warlocks in check for the most part and his business acumen kept the pockets lined. But Nyx's patience wore thin and the pushback he got from the more vocal factions bordered on causing a rift that would set the warlocks on a destructive path to their downfall.
Jack cringed. "Also my doing. But I aim to fix that situation."
Jack only needed to do one thing. Bring Celia Carmichael and Nyx Nolan together around Samhain and put the proper clues in their hands. A signet ring and photo along with a familiar in the guise of a cat should get the ball rolling in the right direction.
The he could add another checkmark in the win column.

I'm excited to have another Lantern Jack book to work on. These are fun little stories and I enjoy weaving Jack's backstory into the tales.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment