Sunday, March 25, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Lost in Translation (Crystal Shard Brotherhood book one)

Geez, I'll be really glad when the back and forth weather is over and done. Snow days in March, man, haven't really seen those since the 80s. At least not that I can remember. The year after I graduated, we had a big storm in March and I almost didn't make it back for spring break. Planes weren't flying out of Atlanta to go north. Fun times.

This week, I played catch up with some of my television shows. Got Legends of Tomorrow up to date. Looking forward to Constantine being added as a regular. At least I hope he gets added. He's so much fun. And I really like Wally as a team member.

Gotta say, I'm kind of "meh" with this season of The Flash. I've grown to really like Ralph but I'm rather bored by the uber-smart Devoe and the constant body swaps. Here's hoping next season has better flow.

I'm not sure I'll be able to catch up on Gotham. Gotta find the first episode when it returned at the beginning of March. I hate it when on demand and the station websites remove the episodes before I have time to get caught up. Grrr.

I'm caught one of my missed episodes of Riverdale. I'm still a little on the fence about the whole mafia-style intrigue. Hiram buying the paper? Yeah, seriously, not down with that plot point. I'd rather watch Kevin and Josie deal with their parents and Cheryl deal with hers. Also, Chic. Ugh. I have no clue what to even think about that storyline. I want to love it, but I don't. I did love the Jughead rundown about how tangled their relationships are with their friendships. Too true, my man, too true.

I'm down to one episode left on Murdoch Mysteries. I'm a little heartbroken for William and Julia and I'm almost afraid to watch the next episode.

I took a week off from Jessica Jones. I'll be trying to catch more episodes this week.

Chicago Fire has some great crossover episodes. I'm excited about finishing up season five, but then I'll have to wait for season six—see not being available on demand or website. Bleh.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Lost in Translation, a Crystal Shard Brotherhood book.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Lost in Translation 10263 / 15000 A body dumped outside a fortress. A scroll located in twelve different locations. A trap sprung. But the Brethren are too smart to take the bait. Jackson Alexander and Jacey Durham have to turn the tables on the nemesis trying to dismantle the Crystal Shard Brotherhood.

And a preview snippet…

Blessed warmth.
Jacey thanked the heavens above. Then added the goddess to the mix. The next thing she registered was the quiet. The shrill whistle of the wind no longer screeched in her ears.
But the fuzzy echo, distorted roar was still there. And a throbbing ache screamed along her hairline.
Not pleasant.
She lifted a hand to rub at the offending spot and felt a twinge of pain. It zinged up her arm and made her eyes pop open. Her blurry vision noted the needle inserted into her vein and the tubing that wound around to a bag full of fluids.  
Hospital?
No. She didn't think so.
Her eyes scanned the room, taking in the richly colored décor done in blue and bronze.
Definitely not a hospital.
Somewhere nice though.
Her head still ached and her throat hurt, so she tried to call out. "H-hel-lo." It sounded like a croak, raw and scratchy.
She swallowed and made another attempt. "Hello." Jacey went to sit up but the throb in her head made her stay put. "Anyone? Hello?" Using her free hand, she massaged her forehead, trying to put her jumbled thoughts in order.
What did she know?
She wasn't cold anymore. Bonus for that.
Out of the elements. Big plus there.
She was getting medical attention, but not in a hospital. No points.
And she had a kickass headache that would not quit. Minus one hundred.
Her location topped the list of what she didn't know. And how she got there.
Did she have any other injuries? Probably a big yes since her body felt like one massive bruise. Not knowing the extent and severity had her slightly fearful.
Because the worst thing? She had no clue who helped her. The person or persons she'd gone to meet? Wait. Gone to meet? Okay, score another answer she had now.
Except she couldn't remember who.
Or someone else entirely could have offered the assist.
Captive or refugee?
Jacey had no idea which.
Great. Outstanding. Just perfect.
What she didn't know far outweighed everything.
She needed to get it together.
Jacey remembered a phone call, but not who made it. No… wait. A piece slid into place. The call was coded. She wouldn't know the caller, but she'd trust whoever placed it.
Not good… considering her current state.
Helplessness grabbed hold of her and Jacey decided to brave the pain and get some answers. Sucking in a deep breath, she forced herself to sit up. The room swam and everything went gray-black for a second but she leveled out pretty quickly.
Jacey waited a good thirty seconds before she opened her eyes again. The color was back. Blues and burnished bronze. It made her laugh. Which made her body ache.
Where the hell was she?
Time to find out. She reached over and peeled the tape off her hand. Got ready to take the needle out when a voice startled her.
"Whoa."
Her head swiveled around toward the speaker, the dull throb kicking back in again.
"I don't that's such a good idea. You probably shouldn't remove that just yet."

As far as first meetings go, Jacey could do worse than Jacks. I love these two together and can't wait to really sit down and plot out the rest of this series.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment