Sunday, December 17, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Beastly Shadows (A Lantern Jack Short)

Whew. What a crazy week. I'm still in the throes of trying to get the house cleaned up so we can decorate our tree. We usually wait until Christmas Eve to add the ornaments, which is a good thing because I've misplaced a package I bought to go along with our superhero theme this year.

I'm behind on my shows again. Between shopping, editing, and writing, I need about four more hours each day to get stuff done. LOL That said, I'm almost through the first season of Chicago Fire and, yeah, I really love the show. I'm going the DVD route because I never watch first run anything on NBC. I'm in about year twenty of a boycott and don't see that changing anytime soon.

I've also been enjoying holiday episodes of my favorite shows. There are so many classic television shows with themed episodes and I'm trying to build my collection. I also discovered a new to us channel on my local feeds and it shows a lot of old favorites. I won't complain. It's fun to revisit stuff I loved back in the day.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Beastly Shadows, a Lantern Jack Short.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Lantern Jack is back. To end a centuries-old feud between werewolves and the hunters, Lantern Jack has to right another wrong. He sets out to bring childhood friends Bebe Beasley and Mannix Mortimer together on Halloween night, but to do so he has to put Mannix in the path of a bullet.

And a preview snippet…

Lantrien Jacquard, also known as Lantern Jack, heaved a weary sigh. "Another long, lonely year. But at least I had time to plan my next good deed." Being cursed and trapped as a pumpkin limited his ability, but he managed to set up an excellent scenario.
And probably not a moment too soon.
The werewolf population dwindled with every new generation. Something Jack hadn't considered when he set previous events in motion. When lupine keepers became hunters.
"Yeah, didn't think that one through at all."
Then again, his compromised state of mind didn't leave room for making good choices back then. Losing his life-mate drove Jack to the brink of madness. Grief as a motivator rarely created good things.
Pitting the keepers against the werewolves definitely counted as a bad deed. At one time, the protectors kept the wolves' domain safe on the human side. They gave the shifters the freedom to run and roam on the full moon. Now they hunted the lupine members and if the wrong remained unfixed, a majestic race would die out. And Jack would never again know freedom.
"Time to make amends again and stay on the path of redemption."
He should feel guilty for putting one of the werewolves in a sticky spot, but Jack would make certain the hunter inflicted only minimal damage. And the wolf he'd chosen as the target wouldn't go down without a fight.
The hunter that would save him—if Jack read the signs correctly—would also be in a bit of peril, but Jack didn't doubt she'd prove savvy enough to overcome generations of ingrained distrust and hatred.
She only needed a nudge in the right direction.
"And I'm just the spirit-infused pumpkin to do it."

I really love Lantern Jack and I'm having a blast writing his redemption through the series of sexy shorts.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment