Sunday, April 8, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Dawn of the Son

Ugh. It's been decades since I've had snow in April and we got two days of it last week. LOL

Anyway, television this week had a great run. Legends of Tomorrow continues to make me happy. Actually titling an episode about a guest star is brilliant. Seriously.

I missed Black Lightning's new episode but plan to catch up with everything with a binge watch in the near future. Also need to get caught up on Riverdale, but I have watched two of my saved episodes. Gotta say I'm so interested in Alice's past and who Chic's dad is. Considering she drove me insane last season, I like this newfound curiosity. Also loving the whole Blossom family drama. Seriously, Riverdale is hitting on all cylinders with me right now.

Arrow's episode ended up being better than I hoped. It's probably not a bad thing to have Oliver's leadership tested and questioned. It's not often I get to see a character actually have to progress through a moment of growth. That said, I hover on the fence with Laurel. I know what I'd like to see happen but I won't hold my breath.

Got another episode of Gotham in and rather liked having Bruce call Alfred. With so much going on, I'm always surprised how well all the plot threads mesh together.

On the other hand, Jessica Jones feels so disjointed sometimes. Not saying it's a bad thing… the overall theme of season two sort of begs for the disconnect. All in all, I'm happy with how things are playing out, with maybe the exception of Trish. My hope is season three will serve as a redemption platform for the character. If not, well… yeah.

Watched an episode of the current season of Chicago Fire and Chicago PD. I'm working my way through to catching up on these. Also watched more of Blindspot. I'm up to the point of new episodes and literally cheered out loud when Jonah Fisher got his comeuppance. I loathed his character. I also wonder if anyone else kept hoping Kurt Weller would go Damien Scott on Fisher's ass? No? Just me? Okay. I can live with that. LOL

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Dawn of the Son, a novella that started with a writing community prompt that the gods decree your main characters need each other to keep the universe in balance. One has to come back from beyond to make that happen.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Apollo and Aurora aren't supposed to get together, but the Universe has other ideas. When everything starts to go sideways, two mortals personify the ancient deities and balance is restored.

And a preview snippet…

Aleina didn't understand how she could be watching everything unfold. The conversation between Alston and Frank made her smile.
"Damn right I'd haunt you."
But what the hell happened? Why did Alston blame himself? Why couldn't she remember?
As far as out of body experiences went… hers sucked huge ones.
"Maybe it's because you don't know the reason yet."
Aleina would've leaped out of her skin if she'd been corporeal. She sought the voice speaking and discovered it came from, no way, the god, Apollo. He materialized from the mists and held out his hand. Stunned almost stupid, Aleina grasped his fingers and found herself standing on Mount Olympus.
She stared out over the vast range, her brain spinning. "Did I die?" How else would she explain being here?
A woman emerged from the cloudy atmosphere. "Does this look like the elysian fields?" A small of her lips took the sting out of the question.
Aleina lifted a shoulder. "As I've never been, I wouldn't know." Two could play the game of sass.
Pythia stepped fully away from the clouds. "You jest, Aleina. You know the difference between Olympus and the underworld." She nodded toward the veil of mist. "Come, we have much to discuss."
When Aleina hesitated, Apollo placed a hand at the small of her back. "There's nothing unsafe. You need to listen and decide." He guided her through the heavy fog-like shroud and led her into a simple chamber filled with scrolls, empty parchments, and writing tools.
Aleina soaked in the quiet atmosphere, drinking in the peaceful surroundings.
Pythia opened the discussion. "Aleina, humanity's last hope is you. You and Alston." She unrolled a large scroll and spread it out on an altar.
Aleina shook her head. "If we're humanity's last hope, you've got a big problem."
Apollo moved to stand at her side. "Listen to the oracle. You're currently hovering in a place between life and death. Pythia doesn't have a lot of time to explain." He pointed to the scroll. "Your name is written, along with Alston's. Your role is clear."
Aleina threw out a hand. "What role?" She blew out a breath. "Never mind. What am I supposed to do?"
Pythia explained. "Let me imbue you with Aurora's non-mortal traits. The dawn and the sun have to come together for humanity to survive. Apollo and Aurora have a sibling bond, but it's not strong enough for the work ahead." She paused and glanced in Apollo's direction. "Depth of love is necessary, the strongest tie known to god or man."
Apollo gave a terse nod. "It's the only way." He folded his arms over his expansive chest.
Aleina considered the underlying vibes between the two. "What's the catch here?" There definitely had to be something for the strange tension pinging between them.
Apollo's lips thinned to a flat line. "You have to convince Alston to carry my traits."
Aleina snorted. "Humanity is screwed then. Alston doesn't believe in the gods. Never has." They might as well ask her to get him to think day and night switched places.
The sound of a heart monitor flatlining drew their attention. Pythia swiped her hand over a blank parchment and the image of Aleina in her hospital bed appeared on the page. The craziness of watching the doctors call a code on her surpassed only by the vision of Alston refusing to leave the room and yelling for her to stay with him. The urge to go pulled hard at her, almost a compulsion.
Her gaze flew to Pythia. "What's happening to me?" Her surroundings went fuzzy and a buoyancy filled her.
Pythia laid a hand on Aleina's forearm. "His call is strong. He's willing you to return."
Apollo reached out to grasp her shoulder, his touch negating the urgent pull to leave. "Use Alston's plea. He'll come around if you do."
The foregone conclusion being she'd allow Pythia to imbue Aleina with Aurora's essence. Of course Apollo assumed Aleina would fall in with their plan. Then again, how could she not?
But… "I'm not sure I can. I won't abuse his faith and trust in me that way." Had they not done enough of that with each other?
Apollo's grip gently tightened. "You won't be. Because of both, he'll help you save humanity."
Aleina nodded. "Fine. How does this work?" She met Pythia's gaze.
The oracle held up two vials. "You drink the green to carry Aurora's properties. Then have Alston ingest the blue." She placed the bottles in Aleina's hand.
Aleina uncorked the green and drained the contents. "How will I know—"
Apollo cut her off. "There's no time. Find the Book of Pythia. It will be your guide."
The chamber swirled and faded, Aleina had a moment of fright before she became aware of shouted orders, the whirr and beeps of monitors, and Alston's voice pleading for her to stay with him…

This one is interesting and I'm having fun writing the characters.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment