Sunday, October 7, 2018

Sunday Snippet: It's Not What They Think

Well, hello, October! This is one of my favorite months. The weather usually gets cooler.
The leaves start changing. And Halloween is just around the corner! It also means the holiday season is looming fast and furiously. Ugh. I'm not ready this year. LOL

Rough week with work and unexpected scheduling conflicts. I did get to watch some good television though. Caught the third episode of Strike Back's fifth season and had a surprise visit in the form of pictures from Stonebridge and Scott. I'm definitely intrigued! I also think I finally made the connection I needed to make. I'm slow sometimes.

The Last Ship seriously keeps me on the edge of my seat. I'm so sad and angry over a certain loss, but I totally called plot point even if it's a little disappointing. Caught the finale of Chicago Fire just in time for the new season to begin. I'll be behind per usual, but I'm glad I got to watch it.

Luke Cage is pulling some interesting things out of the woodwork. I'll admit I'm a little confused with where they're planning to take this season. That said, I love this show. And there's no Trish to really muck things up. Just saying.

Passionflix's Driven is so good. I watched the fourth episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't wait for the new holiday movie they have planned.

Murdoch Mysteries started their twelfth season with a fun episode. I always look forward to this series and the new twists and turns Murdoch and Julia and the rest of the cast face.

Caught a few more episodes of Peter Gunn's first season. The noir feel of this show never fails to make me happy. Penny Dreadful is seriously creepy sometimes and I'm kind of on the fence about whether I like it or not. LOL

Caught another episode of The Dresden Files and it was one I remembered liking a lot when it originally aired.

Rounding things out for the week, I caught an episode of Killjoys and love where things are going. I'll be so sad to see this show end next season.

I started the final episode of Canal Road and didn't have the chance to finish it yet. It's on the agenda for tomorrow.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from It's Not What They Think, a novella that started with a writing community prompt of "I know my wife". The idea is to write a scene or a story about an unknown side to a spouse.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Meaghan Wrath goes on the warpath, losing her hard won control over her powers and wreaking havoc on unsuspecting clan members. She's setting a crappy example, but her husband, Vinnie Grayson, walks a fine line by not reprimanding her. Her need let off steam and be rebellious never lasts long—usually the week leading up to the full moon—and a demand to stop will only land her on the hot seat—almost literally.

And a preview snippet…

Meghan Wrath walked through the Mage Academy lights flickering whenever she strode past. She paused and the illumination grew bright. When she moved away, dim shadows followed.
She sighed. "Dammit. Not again." Third or fourth month is a row she'd had weird stuff happen with her powers.
Last month, she had the same experience, but the intensity didn't surge under her skin as much.
Her fingers almost crackled with energy. Tucking her hands in her pockets, she made her way to the residential quarters and quickly took the stairs down to her level. After entering her apartment, she shut the door and expelled a relieved breath.
Bringing her palms in front of her, she wiggled her fingers. Every light in the room blinked on. Two bulbs burst, but the rest stayed brightly lit.
Her shoulders slumped. "Shit. Why is this happening to me?" Curling her fingers into her palms, she did a long, slow count to ten.
The door opened behind her and she jumped, blowing out two more lamps.
Her best friend, Mathias Benson, stopped short just inside the room. "Again?" He shook his head and moved to her side.
Meghan nodded. "Same as last month, but it's worse. The lights in the Fouster Hall went crazy when I walked by." She moved to sit on the couch. "And before that, the cupboard doors in the classroom popped open and the work aprons danced out and took a spin around the room before I got it under control." Slumping down, she leaned her head against the cushion. "Freaked everyone out and I left the class with Vinnie in charge." Her husband would no doubt cobble some kind of excuse together for the orientation class.
Mathias sat next to her. "Have you looked into why this happens close to the full moon?" He propped his feet up on the oversized trunk in front of the sofa.
Meghan shot him a sideways glance. "What are you talking about?" And why hadn't she caught the timing?
Mathias shrugged. "Just something Vin and I were discussing last month when you went haywire." He met her gaze. "You seem to get off kilter around the waxing gibbous phase of the moon then get it together once the full moon has passed."
Meghan tamped down a flash of anger. She didn't want to set anything on fire. She couldn't keep the curtains from billowing outward before settling back against the window frame.
She took a deep, calming breath before responding to Mathias. "Let me get this straight. My husband talked to you about a theory but mentioned nothing to me?" There were times she hated sharing a best friend with Vinnie.
Mathias held his hands up. "Well, yeah." He angled toward her, putting an arm on the back of the couch. "Not to leave you out, Meghan. That's not why we were talking about it. He's getting crap every time you do something weird and it's happening like clockwork lately." His brow rose, daring her to refute the truth.
She couldn't. Dammit. Didn't mean she liked Vinnie and Mathias playing shrink behind her back.
Mathias softened his voice. "Look, sometimes it helps to work stuff out in a non-hostile environment." Meaning if they included her, something might go up in flames?
Probably. And the idea pissed her off. She should be part of solving her problem.
She got pissy with Mathias. "I don't see why everyone goes to him. I'm the one who's pushing the limit. Even if I can't control when it happens." The energy bursts weren't exactly conscious moves on her part.
And usually happened at the worst possible times. Unfortunately.
Mathias snorted. "You're kidding, right?"
She sighed. "Yeah, yeah. I need to figure this out. Or Vin's going to get caught in the crossfire." More so than usual.
Mathias's lips curved in a half-smile. "Not like he hasn't been before. He's comfortable sitting on the powder keg most of the time."
Meghan lifted a shoulder. "Yeah, well, we'll see how long that lasts, especially if I keep having these magickal flashovers." The moon phase thing needed a thorough examination.
Which she'd get started on ASAP. But not here where she lived with Vinnie. She'd ask for some time in the catacombs, maybe try a dreamscape spell and record the visions.
Mathias got up. "Hang in there, Meghan." He started for the door. "You know Vinnie and I will love you no matter what. Even if you burn the place down all around us."
Meghan rolled her eyes and tossed one of the throw pillows at him.
But he'd said exactly what she needed to hear. No matter what happened, her husband and their best friend would stick by her side.

This story went in a direction I didn't expect and I love it! Here's hoping I can get it finished up and out into the world.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment