Sunday, August 11, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Picture Perfect


August is shaping up to be the busiest month I've had in a long time. Between running around with my daughter and new projects landing in my inbox, I need about five more hours in each day.

Very limited television viewing this week. I ended up not starting the playlist listen while working. Too many interruptions.

I did watch a marathon of Aurora Teagarden Mysteries. Also caught some Peter Gunn episodes.

Other than that, the manuscript evaluations I've been working on took precedence. It's easier to review and assess when it's quiet and I don't have something else trying to pull my attention away from the material.

On a very happy note, I finished up a manuscript I've been writing for a long, long time. It's the follow up to Shyler: Finding Home, a Furlough 99 novella. The story ended up being more involved than I thought it would be and it turned out so much better than I'd hoped. Look for it soon!

That's pretty much it for television this week. I really want to get back to Krypton and finish up Riverdale and Arrow. Hopefully this week.

Tonight's post is from Picture Perfect, a novella that started with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Faeryn Carnes, a fire elemental, crossed through the Shroud, leaving the mortal plane. But when she returned, an unheard of occurrence, Seth Jacobson, an air elemental, is the only person she can count on, which seems impossible because Faeryn believes air and fire can't mix.

And a preview snippet…

A singular, incessant thought brought Faeryn to Seth's doorstep. Seek solace. She'd be happy as goddamned lark if she could find some form of comfort away from the constant buzzing in her mind.
When Seth opened the door, her world righted itself. The gray haze surrounding her return turned bright with a rainbow of color. But she didn't understand why.
Seth gave her a questioning smile. "You doing okay?" He stepped back, inviting her inside.
She crossed the threshold and another piece of her jigsaw self fell into place. "Honestly? Not sure what I'm doing right now." Her gaze scanned the familiar interior of Seth's home.
Nothing changed. Neat, tidy, welcoming. Warm and inviting. Like the man.
For the most part.
She asked the question burning her brain. "Why aren't you freaking out? Everyone, and I mean everyone, is up in arms. I'm either cursed or a demon spawn dressed up in Faeryn's skin." She shook her head. "Those were the nicest things anyone said." The rest… didn't bear discussion.
Seth's lips kicked into a wry twist. "I hate to break it to you, Faeryn, but people said that about you before you…" His voice trailed off for a moment. "Uh… left." He nodded toward the sofa. "Wanna just chill and relax or did you have a specific reason for stopping by?"
Faeryn made her way to the couch. "Don't think I didn't catch how you didn't answer the question." Should she let it slide or dig deeper?
The internal voice chanted its mantra… seek solace.
What the hell else would she be doing at Seth's?
By rights, he should hate her. She trashed their relationship, their friendship, and practically anything else that held them together.
Seth took a seat in the chair next to the sofa. "The short version is I'm not freaking out because I don't care." He crossed an ankle over his knee.
Her heart dropped into her stomach. The sting of his words cutting deeper than she wanted to admit.
He shook his head. "That didn't come out right. What I mean is I don't care how or why you're back. I'm happy you're here." His voice held the warm quality she'd come to crave.
She snorted softly. "I think you're the only one. Which serves me right. I get that." Settling back into the plush cushions, she tucked her legs under her. "Hell, I'm not the same person. I'm different, but I can't quite pinpoint the how or why." She huffed out a sigh. "It's beyond frustrating. Like I'm on borrowed time but I don't know what the expiration date is." Leaning her head back, she stared at the ceiling.
Seth straightened and put his forearms on his knees. "Maybe we can figure it out. I pulled out some of the ancient texts. There has to be something in those that will point us to what's going on with you."
Faeryn dropped her chin to meet his gaze. "You're willing to help me?" She didn't deserve him. She really didn't.
Seth's lips curved. "Like I said. I'm happy you're back… for however long you're here."
And didn't that nail the big scary thing hovering in the back of her mind.
If she had a purpose… what would happen once she discovered it?

This story has some twists and turns I didn't quite expect. Sometimes the sages like to throw things in and keep me on my toes.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment