Sunday, August 18, 2019

Sunday Snippet: The Pit and the Pyre


Ugh! August is fast becoming the craziest month I've ever had. This past week I filled my gas tank up on Monday and by Wednesday, I only had half a tank left. For perspective… a full tank of gas usually lasts about two to three weeks for me. Does that say anything about the week I had? LOL

Seriously, though, a lot of back and forth travel several times a day did give me lots of windshield time. It also gave terrible drivers and a buttload of construction but that's a whole different rant for another day.

I did end up having a highly productive week workwise, which means I didn't have a lot of time for television. I did hear the news of Krypton's demise unless another network picks it up. Here's hoping that happens. I really do love the characters.

I've been rather disappointed that my once favorite network is no longer in the running for my viewing time. I either watch on demand via the app or not at all. It makes me sad that Syfy has fallen so far. I literally used to watch the channel almost exclusively way back in the day.

As much as I love the convenience of streaming shows, I miss having a wide variety of stuff to choose from during the day on regular cable television. I have been enjoying the local channels' digital offerings. MeTV, Decades, Comet, Charge, This TV, etc. has some great classic stuff. That's what I've been having on in the background. I'm also a big fan of Ovation right now.

I did get to watch a few more episodes of Peter Gunn this week but that's about it.

Tonight's post is from The Pit and the Pyre, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Virgo Sohn walks through five years of hellfire to get back to Gunn Gladstone, but she finds him married to Glynne Allmore. Accepting the hand dealt, Virgo refuses to explain the circumstances of her return until Glynne succumbs to a raging virus and Gunn feels he should join her on the pyre.

And a preview snippet…

"Virgo! Wait!" Gunn Gladstone burst into the center of the maze, the source of hellfire in the realm.
Virgo paused with her foot on the threshold of the pit. "I have to go, Gunn. You were there. The lone quorum member who voted to let me stay." The only person who didn't blame her for the Sohn family sins.
He grasped her biceps. "Give it time. You can't really be held responsible for your misdeeds. You were acting under orders from your family." His palm cupped her face. "They're the ones to blame. And because they're not here, you're taking the brunt of anger from the revelations." His gaze held hers, trying to offer reassurance.
Virgo didn't want any. Because she had followed orders. Without question or argument.
Until she met Gunn and received an education with how mage politics were supposed to work.
Shaking her head, she eased away from him. "I'll never be good or… clean… enough to stand by your side. Not unless I face the trials." She grabbed for his hand. "I have nothing to lose except you and the quorum vote made anything we might have had impossible." Her heart kicked hard against her ribs. "You know this."
Gunn's lips twisted in a grimace. "I know there's no guarantee you'll survive the trials. At least with banishment, there's a chance we could have a future." He pulled away from her.
She sighed. "Gunn, if I don't survive, there's a reason. And I'm doing this whether you accept it or not. At least this way you won't be tainted by your association with me and you'll stay on track to take over as quorum leader. They'll never let you ascend if you're still tied up with me." He shouldn't need her to state the facts…
Gunn's face hardened. "Then don't expect me to be around if you survive. If you can't trust me enough to work things out for you, we're already over." He stepped back and out of her way.
Virgo spun around, unwilling to let Gunn see the tears gathering in her eyes. "We already were before we met." She trusted him… she did not trust herself.
She took a step forward, the flames licking at her ankles.
She glanced over her shoulder to see Gunn's retreating figure.
Someday, I'll be worthy of you and I'll walk through hellfire to prove it.
Closing her eyes, she dropped down into the burning fire.

I have a lot of love for this story. Virgo and Gunn are on a wild journey and I'm having so much fun writing their tale.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment