Sunday, September 29, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Quelling Hunger


Had a crazy busy week with multiple projects coming due and, thankfully, I made the deadlines. I'll freely admit there might have been some wine to help along the way. More as a reward at the end of the week than during the actual crunch time.

I made a lot of progress on the three shows I'm currently watching. This means I haven't seen any of the premieres of the new seasons yet. I'm weirdly out of sync with everyone else and I'm not eager to dive into the new stuff yet.

I continued with season three of Peter Gunn and have a handful of episodes left to watch. Season three marks the end of the run and I'm not sure what I'll replace this show with, but I think I'd like to go with another classic television series. We'll see what I can find.

I'm through season seven of Classic Who and have a start on season eight. I'm in the Mind of Evil arc. The Master is now a nemesis and it's fun to watch how the long-standing rivalry started between the Doctor and the Master.

I've also finished up series eighteen of Midsomer Murders and should start nineteen soon. That leaves about twelve or so episodes left before I finish up the entire run. Not sure what I'll replace this one with either. I might finish The Coroner if it's still available.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Quelling Hunger, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When a storm destroys the food warehouses in the city, Rita Steed and Fletch Lancaster are tasked with keeping the peace while half-rations are necessary until the rooftop gardens can produce more crops. Heading up the sector patrol, neither is certain they can maintain the status quo when quelling hunger seems to be impossible.

And a preview snippet…

The hazy warmth of several glasses of wine on a less than full stomach spread comfortably through Rita.
She kicked back on the small futon Fletch had dragged inside their makeshift quarters. "Nothing like a little vino to wash away a crappy day." She swirled the last swallow in her glass.
Fletch picked her feet up and started a massage. "We might end up counting alcohol as a food group soon." His hand slid up her calf, squeezing and kneading her muscles.
Rita's head dropped back and she moaned. "I can't believe they opened another holding facility." She straightened. "Damn. They're gonna cut rations again." No way would that go over well.
Fletch's fingers paused. "Uh… where did you come up with that?" He turned to face her, dislodging her feet.
Rita shrugged. "Projection? Why open a new center when we're a few weeks away from the first replacement harvest?" Her gut churned and not from the wine.
Fletch's eyes slid shut. "Unless there's a delay or something else wrong with the new growth." He blew out a harsh breath. "Shit. I'll find out in the morning briefing."
Rita maneuvered around to straddle Fletch's thighs. "I'm a total mood-killer. Can we forget I said anything and go back to you accepting the challenge of proving you're the best thing on the planet?" She wiggled her butt for good measure.
Fletch narrowed his eyes. "Gonna be a tough job. Maybe you should help me out."
Rita grinned. "Thought you'd never ask." She worked her fingers under the hemline of his shirt and dragged it up and over his head.
The smooth planes of his chest drew her palms forward to glide over his skin.
Fletch caught her leg in his grip and toppled her sideways to stretch out on the futon. With practiced ease, he lowered the back, giving him space to recline next to her. His mouth met hers and he scrunched up the material of her tank top. When the fabric cleared her breasts, his head dropped down to capture a nipple between his lips.
Rita pulled the shirt off and started on her pants. Fletch took over, tugging the stretchy garment past her hips and down her legs. She kicked them out of the way and slid her hands under the warm-ups he wore. He helped her get them removed and hauled her close.
His palms kneaded her ass. "Forget everything else. Tonight is about you and me." He brought her hips flush with his.
His erection jutted against her stomach and Rita wrapped her fingers around the length. "I'm down with that. And you're definitely up for it." She hooked her leg over his hip and guided his cock to her core. "Show me how much."

I like the dynamic between Fletch and Rita. They're kind of beat down but still able to find golden moments to cherish.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment