Sunday, October 13, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Question Everything


So far, October is a pretty good month. My daughter is on the homecoming court for the first time and is excited to participate in the annual parade coming up in a week or two. She'll be hosting her annual gathering next weekend and we've got a laundry list of stuff to get finished up before then.

Not a bad week for television. I started out with a Passionflix original, Brother's Honor and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I'm excited to see the other two movie's in this trilogy when they're available.

I also caught up on some Arrow, watching an episode from last season. I'll be a little behind when season eight premieres but I should be caught up soon.

Watched the first episode of Murdoch Mysteries's new season. This show is so much fun. I love the characters more each year.

For some reason, I missed the last two episodes of Frankie Drake Mysteries's second season. I got one episode watched and have the final one and the first three of this season to get caught up on.

I'm also catching up on Riverdale. I finished an episode and watched another full one. I haven't seen the premiere of season four yet, but I plan to have at least a full box of tissues handy when I do watch it.

I still haven't decided what I'll be picking up after Peter Gunn, but I'll be starting that this week.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Question Everything, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When Temple Sparrow discovers her family is part of an underground society of beings and creatures who secretly control the city, she eschews their traditions and finds her true vocation, seeking answers. Hunt Gambit doesn't trust anyone, least of all Temple, but playing by the rules isn't an option and he'll use her knowledge to get what he needs and teach her to question everything.

And a preview snippet…

Two days after her father's funeral, Temple Sparrow stormed into his study demanding answers. "Is it true?"
Her mother, Tressa, cool and haughty as always, answered. "It is." Her gaze barely met Temple's before she went back to reading the file in front of her.
Temple seethed and flung an arm out. "I can't believe this. How did I grow up in this mausoleum and not know anything about my family's involvement in the underground?" The city's black market traded on the supernatural beings they exploited for the normals.
Tressa closed the folder and tapped her blood-red nails on the surface before she responded. "Because I made sure it was kept from you." She got up and smoothed the skirt of her black dress.
Fucking widow's weeds for a cold fish. One who gave nary an actual shit about her husband's death. Or much of anything else except keeping up the appearances of being successful.
At the cost and on the backs of every average fae being.
Tressa lifted her gaze. "If I had my way, you wouldn't have been informed yet. You're entirely too volatile and not at all ready for a seat at the head table."
Temple snorted. "Keep your damn table, Mother. I won't sit anywhere near the stink of corruption you want to wallow in." If her mom knew anything about Temple, she'd already be aware of this sticking point.
Tressa gave a quick head shake. "I wouldn't be so certain. I'm not the only—"
Temple cut Tressa off. "Oh, but I am. If you're involved, I'm not. Call one of your craven family members and ask them to join the club." Anyone on the Wingate side should be more than happy to step up.
Except Uncle Marsh. He had little to do with his four siblings' power grabs.
Tressa gave Temple a hard look. "Walking away means you leave with nothing."
Temple huffed out a breath. "Did you forget about Grandmara's trust?" The one she now had access to since her dad died.
The stricken look on her mother's face said she had. Score one for Grandmara Vi. 
Temple rolled her eyes. "Of course you did. A mere half million is chump change for someone like you. But it's all mine and you can't touch or control any part of it… which means you can't touch or control me." She gathered up her scattered thoughts and turned on her heel. "Good-bye, Mother. I hope you wither in this monstrosity you call a house, but I'm sure that won't be the case."
Tressa followed after her. "You can't leave, Temple. Once you're aware of our ties to the underworld, there's no recourse. You either take up the reins or they take you out."
Temple paused at the door and looked over her shoulder. "Let 'em try." She sailed out of the study and strode directly to the front door.
The warning sent a fissure of fear down to her toes, but she'd never cower in front of her mom. But Temple would take some precautions and do her damnedest to expose the rot at the root of the city's founding family trees.

I love writing Temple and I can't wait for her to meet up with Hunt. They've got a wild and twisty road ahead of them.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment