Sunday, November 10, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Quiver Full of Arrows


Whew. This week flew right by. We're still waiting on our new furnace, which I should have by my next post. My workload is bananas right now and I didn't get a chance to watch much television due to deadlines. It's also been a busy week with my daughter's golf banquet and awards ceremony and state band competition.

I started a new episode of Blue Heelers but stopped midway through so I need to finish it up this week.

I started out with Midsomer Murders and watched the first episode of the final series. The new coroner is kind of fun and recognizable from a Doctor Who episode, at least that's where I remember her from.

I'm limping through the Riverdale musical episode "Big Fun". I keep stopping the action because I don't want to miss anything. I can honestly say I'm impressed with the way this episode is put together. I love how many of the group is involved in the musical. The only thing I'm not a fan of is how much screen time Eleanor is sucking up. I realize there's a reason for it but she's right up there with Hiram in the characters I love to hate department. I do think I'll have time to finish up later tonight or early tomorrow. Then it's off to the new season of Arrow, where I'll probably weep through every episode.

I caught a few holiday movies in the background during the workday and also ended up catching a bunch of Blue Bloods episodes.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Quiver Full of Arrows, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Frey Witter, codename Crossfire, is sent to bring in mercenary for hire, Solaris Polanski, aka, Moon Shadow for a covert mission. He's got one little problem. Solaris answers to no one—and she used to work for the other side.

And a preview snippet…

Solaris lifted her gaze to meet his. "I doubt that." But he had her.
And, dammit, she didn't have the energy to battle with him. She slowly got to her feet. He didn't make a move to help her and, honestly, he earned points for not doing so.
Taking a deep breath, she slowly exhaled. "Okay, who sent you? The name is going to be a deciding factor because ninety percent of the agency goons are assholes and I'd rather take an arrow than work with or for any of them." She'd had too many double crosses to fully trust anyone from the covert government unit.
Frey gave her a long look. Would he shoot her? She couldn't tell and it almost thrilled her to not be able to read him. Given enough time, she'd learn the silent language he spoke, but fat chance she'd the opportunity… unless…
Frey broke his silence. "Norm Coleman." His shoulders tensed while he waited for her response.
Solaris closed her eyes. He'd named the one person she couldn't refuse.
"Aw, fuck. Guess I'll live to see another day." She owed Norm and she always paid her debts.
Even if she'd rather eat glass.
Frey relaxed his stance, which didn't do anything to dissipate the coiled energy coming off his body. The man oozed readiness, no doubt willing and able to leap into action at a second's notice. She didn't want to admire the quality… but she did.
She glanced around for a vehicle. "If we're going, let's go. I'd rather get whatever the hell Norm wants out of the way." She finally spotted the matte black vehicle tucked into the shadows by a row of dumpsters.
Frey gathered his crossbow and started toward the SUV.
Solaris followed but paused. "Look, before we take off, I have one condition." And he probably wouldn't like it.
Frey's finger tightened on the trigger of his crossbow. "And that would be?" He slowly angled around, keeping the weapon primed.
Solaris dropped her bomb. "You're bringing me in so you're going to be my handler. Norm and I need a buffer. I elect you." She'd be lucky if she and Norm got through with their little meeting without blood being shed.
Frey frowned. "Might not be possible. I go where they tell me." He smoothly angled away again.
Following orders. How boring.
But she wouldn't cave on her decision. "It's a stipulation I won't give in on. I come in—without trouble—and you take the role or we end it here." And what a shame that would be.
Frey gave her a level look, holding it for several long moments. "I'll see what I can do. I don't make promises I can't keep."
Solaris made her way to the SUV. "You'll keep this one. Especially if we hit the caverns and retrieve the diamonds." No way would she let that jackpot go uncollected.
Frey shook his head. "That's not the mission." He yanked the back door open and propped his equipment within easy reach.
Solaris gingerly got inside the vehicle. "Trust me when I say Coleman will thank you if you bring them along. His black-op budget can always use a boost." And she would definitely need the leverage.

This story is coming together better than I expected. I love putting characters in a situation where their gut instincts have to make decisions.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment