Sunday, February 23, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Sh*t Happens


WooHoo! I have a new roof on my garage and both porches. Our back porch actually includes our bathroom and laundry room and we’ve had leaks for the past five years. Here’s to not having those anymore! We went with a blue metal and it looks terrific with the slate roof of the house. I’m thrilled the job took, I’m not kidding, a day and a half. I figured it would take a week to get it all done. Glad I was wrong.

Busy week on the work front. Finished up a project and started two more. I did get some television viewing in but had a light week.

I caught an episode of Riverdale and enjoyed getting back to the regular timeline. I’m completely creeped out with Cheryl’s weird deal with her corpse brother but I love the battle of wills she’s having with the new principal. Loved having some story with Reggie. Also liked seeing Mad Dog join the group. I want Kevin and Betty to get back to their usual friendship and I’m happy to see him kind of wake up to the evils of the farmies. Here’s hoping Fangs comes back to the fold.

I watched The Will, a Passionflix original movie, and thoroughly enjoyed it! The casting ended up being spot-on and I had fun watching this one. I’ll be looking forward to the next release Passionflix puts out.

Caught another episode of Danger Man aka Secret Agent. I forever have The Prisoner in my mind when I watch these episodes even if they’re not technically related. Probably because I watched The Prisoner first.

Watched the third episode of Midsomer Murders. Enjoyed it a lot. It had some good twists and turns I didn’t expect.

Viewed another first season episode of Peak Practice. I’m not quite sure what I’m supposed to think about Will. The character is, I think, the only one who remained for all twelve series. Right now, he’s kind of a petulant, whiny child most of the time and I don’t know if I’m supposed to like him or not. Since it’s only four episodes so far, I’ll reserve judgment.

Finished up Classic Who season ten with Three and the end of Jo’s tenure as a companion. The Green Death episodes were a pretty interesting arc and I like how Jo ended her time with the doctor. Looking forward to starting season eleven.

Strike Back is back, as noted in last week’s post. I’m currently watching the first episode of the season and, wow, Coltrane definitely has a big-ass chip on his shoulder. He kind of acts like he didn’t have his ass saved by his team not so long ago. That said, I’m not all the way through the first episode yet so I’ll reserve judgment.

And that’s pretty much it for television this week. Tonight’s post is from Shit Happens, a sexy short that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here’s the mini-blurb:

Nyla White, an up and coming paranormal cage fighter, has buttloads of potential but her 'Sh*t happens' attitude prevents her from attaining the top spot. Erik Stevens, her trainer, pushes her to use her emotions to own her talent, which Nyla is hesitant to do—because she's got strong feelings for Erik.

And a preview snippet…

Erik exited the council chambers with Nyla's future in the ring intact.
Barely.
Pissed off, he headed for the competitor area behind the main ring. "The raw, untapped talent she has is wasted. She refuses to control the energy." He gave a brief nod to the sentinel at the entrance of the combatant area.
Erik had worked and worked with Nyla, trying to break through the walls she put up. But she wouldn't make a connection, something she needed to help control and harness her latent ability to manipulate magick. And he couldn't figure out why.
Slowing down, he exhaled slowly. "She needs an emotional tether to ground her." If she didn't find something, she'd never achieve her goal of rising to the top of the arena battles. "I don't even care if it's with me or not." Bullshit. He cared.
He wanted her to find a connection with him.
Yeah? Remember Gengi?
Right. That ended in wrecked lives and wounded reputations. But only because the trainer-fighter fit had been all wrong from the start.
Erik leaned against the wall outside the locker room. "Gengi Bartlemas had no business being groomed for magickal bouts." Her skill level served better uses elsewhere.
It's why I never do favors for anyone anymore.
With Nyla, he owed no one but her anything. Except she didn't always trust he had her best interest in mind. And look where that got her.
Pushing away from the wall, he paced back and forth. "She's had fifteen minutes to shower. Time to read her the riot act."

A little shorter than usual but I need to flesh out a few details and I’m not quite ready to put those on the page yet. Erik has some history he has to deal with.



That’s it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment