Sunday, February 16, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Shine One On


Ugh. What a rough week. I've been battling some wicked-bad insomnia lately and I hate walking around like a zombie and trying to catch some much needed rest whenever I can. Not a fun time.

I did have a wonderful revelation on Thursday, which was my youngest's eighteenth birthday. To date, the husband and I have successfully raised three offspring to adulthood. Now to get her through prom and graduation then off to college. LOL

Slow week for television, mainly due to the insomnia. I caught a full arc of Classic Who and had a thought… the Daleks have been around for a long, long time. Just saying.

Got back into Gargoyles and watched a couple of episodes. The second season is super long and it'll be a while before I get through all of the various stories.

Watched a few episodes of Danger Man. This is pretty much a rewatch of the series for me, but it's nice to have a thirty-minute show to sink into while I'm doing dishes or cooking dinner.

Caught an episode of Murdoch Mysteries and finally discovered what would happen with the neighbors. I'd forgotten about the hotel detective and his mad vendetta against Murdoch. All in all, a satisfying wrap-up to the storyline. Sadly, the widow might end up rearing her vengeful head at some point in the series. That should be interesting.

I watched another episode of Arrow and I can honestly say I'm impressed with Stephen's performance. He brings the emotional element to the screen every episode. That said, he mentioned in an interview that Emily's decision to not be involved in most of season eight made the show feel kind of wrong (absolutely paraphrasing here) because Felicity is the heart of the show and no Felicity means no heart. I totally get that. But… it's kind of cool to see the reunions Oliver is having with people from his past. Talia and Thea teaming up could be a show on its own, especially if Nyssa got involved at some point. Just saying. Also really interesting to see what's going on in the futurescape, especially with the twist at the end of the episode.

Getting ready to start an episode of Riverdale and watch the premiere episode of Strike Back's final season. I also plan to watch the Passionflix original, The Will sometime this week. Looking forward to some great screen time.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Shine One On, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Against state regulations, Maxine Wynne braves the revenuer to provide speakeasy owner, Drake Kestleman, enough moonshine to keep his customers happy. When Maxine is caught, Drake launches Operation Shine One On to get her out of danger and back in business.

And a preview snippet…

"Get off her!" Drake grabbed a patron in a chokehold and flung him across the hall.
A guilty flush stained one of his dancer's cheeks. While Lily Tyler had a ripped bodice, her short skirt had been tucked into the wide belt of her showgirl costume. A sure sign she hadn't been attacked.
The customer grabbed Drake's shoulder. "Hey, she offered me a poke for fifty dollars. I paid up front, just like she asked." He huffed out a breath. "I'm owed my piece."
Drake shook off the hammy fist. "I run a speakeasy not a brothel." He peeled two fifties off his roll of cash. "Take this—double what you paid—and try Pennyweathers down the block." He pointed toward the exit. "Never accept an offer from one of my showgirls again."
The man buttoned and zipped up. "Maybe you should tell them not to lure hardworking men back here for a little fun." He sent a glare in Lily's direction.
Drake stepped between the man and his dancer. "I'll handle my business, don't you worry." Just as soon as the guy left.
Which he did by spinning on his heel and muttering about crappy women and getting shortchanged.
Drake turned and met Lily's gaze. She had the grace to flush and look away. Damn right, she should. He didn't have a license for sex work and didn't want the hassle of having one.
He shrugged out of his jacket and tossed it to her. "Cover yourself up." They'd have to go out to the main floor.
She draped the suit coat around her shoulders and untucked her skirt.
He pointed down the hall. "My office. Now." He barely kept the growl from his voice.
Lily shot him a scathing look but preceded him down the corridor to his office.
Drake shut the door and crossed over to his desk. "What the hell did you think you were doing?" He had a solid idea… but he wanted to hear it from her.
Lily rolled a shoulder, letting the jacket fall to the floor. "You're not interested… or so you said." She tilted her head to one side.
And he'd been right. She'd lured on of his customers in as an attention-getting stunt. All because Drake had spurned her desire to become more than a showgirl to him. Did she think he'd be jealous?
Lily sent him a coy smile. "But perhaps you are now…" She made a show of puffing out her chest.
Drake barely kept from rolling his eyes. "I'm not. You know I don't mix things up with my employees." And he never would.
Lily's shoulders slumped. "Then at least I would've been fifty bucks ahead." Her tone indicated he'd ruined her fun.
Well, she could have all the fun she wanted… just not here.
He shook his head. "Oh, you'll be ahead." Reaching for his cash, he snagged a hundred and pressed it into her palm. "Consider this severance pay." Combined with the fifty she still had, it doubled what she made dancing three nights a week. "Won't take you long to triple this at Pennyweathers." If she wanted to earn on her back, he wouldn't stop her.
Lily's eyes went wide. "You're firing me?"
Drake nodded. "Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with brothel work, but it's not what I do here." And every last one of his employees received that information on their hire date.
Lily's mouth worked for several moments. "B-bu-but, I don't want to be a Pennyweather trollop." The nickname trembled from her lips.
Drake tsked. "You played a losing hand, Lily… and this is the fallout." He brushed past her and opened the door. "Don't come back."
Lily squared her shoulders and sashayed out with a huff. "You'll regret getting rid of me." Glancing back, she lifted her chin. "I could've rocked your world."
Drake bit back a snort. "I doubt that."
It took a special kind of woman to rock his world. An image of Maxine Wynn filled his mind. Independent, fiercely loyal to her employees, and so curvaceously gorgeous Drake's head spun.
Lily definitely didn't fit that mold.

I love playing with something of an alternative history. If I achieve my goal, this will have a twenties feel mixed with a contemporary vibe.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment