Sunday, June 14, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Trip the Light Fantastic (a Chaos novella)


So far, June is shaping up to be a weird month. Work has slowed way down, which isn't an all bad thing. I've been very fortunate to have a steady flow when so many others have been furloughed or, worse, completely lost their job. That said, it's weird to have time on my hands so I'm hitting projects I've been putting off for ages. It's kind of wonderful and scary all at the same time.

Hit or miss week with television viewing. I haven't been watching as much as I normally do, mainly because I've been doing a good bit of writing. I did catch another episode of Danger Man. Almost finished with the second season.

I caught the penultimate episode of Arrow. Green Arrow and the Canaries ended up being more entertaining than I thought it would be. I'd watch the new version if it comes around.

Also started another episode of Riverdale. I'll be honest, I'm probably done after this season. Alice came such a long way and now she's back to being her obnoxiously overbearing self. I had so hoped she'd maintain her character growth. Bleh.

That's pretty much it for this week. Tonight's post is from Trip the Light Fantastic, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt and is part of the Chaos series.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Esme Von Staunton and Ashton Sylvester think they might be going insane. Ashton's weird attunement with Esme draws her into his bizarre nightmare of hallucinations and doing things neither remember. Esme's brother Eric stumbles onto a plot by Baron Mobride and races to save his source and his favorite couple, but Mobride has other ideas and doesn't plan to let Eric thwart him.

And a preview snippet…

Baron Franz Mobride pressed his seal against the wax on the envelope. "This goes to the usual location." The mixture of olympus and opium in the paraffin might be his most ingenious idea ever.
The lackey, Johnston, maybe, carefully took the stack of correspondence and tucked it into his case. "I'll see they're delivered in due course." He turned on his heel and exited Franz's office.
Franz leaned back in his chair. "Soon … very soon now, I'll know who has an affinity with the olympus and the advantage that knowledge will afford me." He needed something to give him an edge with his silent benefactor.
All because of Ashton Sylvester.
Franz poured a healthy amount of amber liquor into a tumbler. "The earl of Cranford won't a thorn in my side much longer." Not if Franz's intuition didn't fail him.
His gut squirmed, indicating the correct nature of his guess. Olympus gave Sylvester added insight and who knew what other abilities. Now Franz had to prove his theory and find a way to exploit the fact to benefit himself. If he got his hands on Sylvester's fortune more the better.
Draining the glass, he cracked a smile. "Then I'll be on equal footing with my American counterpart." And he wouldn't have to keep excruciatingly accurate account of his expenses.
The very thought chafed against Franz's sense of value. Why did it matter what he spent the flow of funds coming from the American on? Franz had an image to uphold and a network of people to control. The loss of his personal wealth left a bitter taste in the back of his throat.
Twirling the tumbler in his hand, he gnashed his teeth. "Sylvester will pay for ruining me financially. I've still got some friends in the consortium that'll back my every move." Sometimes extortion didn't pay in gold.
Setting the glass aside, Mobride rose from his chair and took a moment to doff his hat and coat. He had a long-standing appointment at the Tildaswail Brothel.
Flashing a grin, he hailed his carriage. "Can't be late. I want to use every minute I have working out my frustration on a willing woman." Stepping up into the plush interior of his enclosed vehicle, he waved his driver onward.

This series is going to some unexpected places. It started with two books then quickly morphed into four. I'm excited to see how everything plays out.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment