Sunday, June 21, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Truth Hurts


I can't believe there's only one more week and a few days of June left. This year seems to be flying by so fast—even with a pandemic and social distancing.

Slow week of television again but a good one for client phone calls. I have a couple if potentially interesting new projects to be excited about.

I did finish up Danger Man with the last few episodes of season two. I'll be starting the color episodes this week along with the new title of Secret Agent. Should be fun.

I also got through the Riverdale episode I started last week and, surprisingly, it got better. I kind of understand where Alice came from but it still annoys me to no end. Veronica's savage takedown of Hiram made my week. I also ended up really enjoying the Cheryl session with the guidance counselor—whoever tagged Gina Torres for that role deserves a raise. I'm very intrigued by the cutaway end scenes. If not for my absolute complete and utter loathing of Hiram, I would be so set to keep watching this show. As it is, I literally hate that character so much, I'll probably only skim through the season.

I caught another episode of Roswell, New Mexico and thoroughly enjoyed it. I like Alex and Michael working as a team without the usual UST between them. Having them become actual friends is a great thing and I'm totally there to watch that happen. Loved having the former Max back as a Mains ancestor. Here's hoping he'll be available for more flashback scenes. I like where Isabel is headed and love what she did for Arturo and Liz. Also loved, loved, loved Kyle's scenes with his mom. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the dean's daughter storyline, but I'm down with whatever happens. I kind of have a tiny hope Kyle ends up hooking up with Cameron at some point … but that's only if Jessie doesn't have her abducted. I totally don't believe he's been shackled by anyone or anything. In fact, I'd lay odds he's the actual private security firm's leader. That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

Last but not least, I watched another episode of Peak Practice. I've been staying with the chronological order for now and I'm working my way through the second season. Should have it finished up within the month. I hope.

And that's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Truth Hurts, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Mardi Darr discovers her current lover is an enemy agent with an enchanted chip in his head. She gives the okay for a risky surgery and it lands him in a submersion chamber with no brain activity. Heth Santiago is responsible for Mardi being with Staz and he needs to help Mardi accept the truth … even though it hurts like a bitch.

And a preview snippet…

Mardi pulled up behind the nondescript ranch house on a quiet street two towns over. "This should work until we can get Joannie in for a debrief." She cut the engine.
Staz rubbed the back of his head and around to his temples. "Man, my head hurts." He craned his neck from side to side.
His brows furrowed and he exhaled on a long breath.
Mardi frowned but turned to face Heth. "We weren't tailed, but it probably won't take long for the hawks to figure out we've got her." She slid a quick glance in Staz's direction, concerned when he kept rubbing his fingers across his forehead.
Heth nodded. "We bought some time but not much. Getting her inside then relocated should be a top priority." He angled sideways to address Joannie. "Are you good with going into our protective program?"
Mardi rolled her eyes. Whether Joannie wanted to or not, she didn't have a choice. She either went into seclusion or she risked losing her life.
Joannie twisted her hands in her lap. "Will I have any contact with you?" She asked the question of Heth.
Mardi bit back a rude snort. Of course Joannie wanted to maintain a line of communication with Heth. Probably had serious heart eyes for the guy.
Which shouldn't concern Mardi in the least. Not anymore. Her case of romantic infatuation with the man ended when he walked away from her.
Except it didn't … not really.
Staz groaned. "Mar, you got any painkillers? This throbbing won't stop." He popped the glove compartment open and riffled around.
Mardi reached out and placed her fingers at his nape. She pushed a soothing vibe, hoping to alleviate some of his discomfort. A niggle of guilt licked along her consciousness because she'd been focused on Heth instead of Staz.
Heth answered Joannie. "I'll help handle getting you moved but, after that, you're better off severing all ties with us. It protects you. But we'll keep tabs on you and you'll have an emergency number you can call if anything hinky happens." His gaze flicked to Staz, who continued to mumble complaints about his headache. "Look, Mardi, cancel the crew. I'll get Joannie into alliance headquarters for a debrief." His shouldered his way out of the SUV then motioned for Joannie to follow.
Mardi barely refrained from snarking about the change of plans. If Heth wanted to spend his time with a beautiful woman, it didn't matter to Mardi. She wanted to get Staz home anyway.
She rolled her window down. "Standard perimeter wards and hex locks?" She'd have to let the team know so they didn't trip anything when they came to pick Heth and Joannie up.
He nodded. "Have them approach from this side via the back door. I'm going to reinforce the front out to the street. If we get any surprises from the hawks, it'll buy us time to get out." Grabbing Joannie's elbow, he led her up to the house.
Mardi waited until they got inside then pulled away. "You're going in to have a brain scan, Staz. No more arguments. We've gotta find out why your headaches are getting worse." Easing out onto the street from the alley, she glanced in his direction.
He gave a twitchy nod then leaned back against the headrest. His eyes closed and he took slow, even breaths—a sure sign her healing magic had little effect. Surprising, since her ability had grown in recent months.
Hence the reason the Street Hawks were so damned determined to get their hands on her. They wanted a powerful mage to control so they could enhance their sorcery and act as a conduit between their mage and wizard sides. Her direct descendancy from a line of pure blood mages had them frothing at the mouth. Lucky her.
Staz opened his eyes and angled his head toward her. "I'm sorry for this, Mar. I'm such a pain in the ass." He straightened again and drifted back out.
Mardi shook her head. "No reason to apologize." She should be the one begging forgiveness.
She enjoyed their time together, and she wanted to love him, but Heth obviously still had pull with her thoughts and her heart. As for being a pain in the ass … no one but the hawks had that particular claim right now.

A little longer than usual with the preview but this scene came together better than I'd hoped. The sages were on fire.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment