Sunday, July 5, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Twilight Kingdom


Well, July is off to a roaring start. Daughter's graduation party is scheduled for today and I'm hoping we have a good turnout but also spaced out over the three hours of the party. I'm filling out my blog post early and getting it ready to post beforehand.

Had a semi-busy week between work and the party prep, but I did get some solid television watched. I started out with Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries. This is a rewatch for me but I love the show.

Also caught another arc of Classic Who. The four-part Ark in Space episodes. Not a bad group.

Watched another episode of The Witcher and, ouch, kind of a heartbreaker episode. I did totally love the dragons though. Looking forward to the next episode.

Caught two more season three episodes of Danger Man. I don't remember either of them so I enjoyed watching.

And that's it for this week. I should have more time next week to dive into some of the shows I'm behind on. And I have to watch the finale of Arrow. I'll have at least two boxes of tissues on hand. Just saying.

Tonight's post is from Twilight Kingdom, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt and puts a twist on a fairytale.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Jess Gillian heads to the outer rim planets to get away from his overbearing parents—the royal consorts of their home planet. When the heir is away, the evil Maniforti will play, luring Nareen Rhom, a palace ward, into a relationship so he can get close to the rulers. When Nareen gets wise, Maniforti casts a spell holding the entire kingdom in his thrall—until Jess returns and sets things straight.

And a preview snippet…

Nareen Rohm threw her head back and planted her hands on Jess Gillian's chest. "Ah, Jess! So good." Her fingers curled into her palms, no doubt to avoid drawing blood on his skin.
Jess grasped her hips and thrust harder. Nari connected telepathically with his mind and the level of intimacy deepened. How it is possible for her to make the sex even hotter?
He had no idea because he didn't have her inherent mind gift. Probably a good thing or they'd burn the palace down whenever they got passionate. Which happened often.
She nudged his mind with her skill. "I'm close … you need to focus here." Her mental tone held no rancor, more like a desire to find release together.
He responded, "See if this helps." His lips found and closed over her nipple and he swirled his tongue around the pebbled tip.
Nari gasped then moaned. "Perfect. Don't stop." Her inner walls tightened around his shaft.
The increased friction pushed him to the edge. "Come with me, Nari." A ball of tension uncoiled at the base of his spine and spread outward but he held back.
Her breath rasped out between her lips then hitched in her throat before a shudder tore through her. "Now, Jess. Please, now." Her thighs quivered around his torso.
His control slipped and he toppled over the brink, his palms cupping her ass until the orgasmic wave crested. She collapsed atop his chest but angled her head to meet his mouth. The kiss spun out, her tongue dueling with his. Sated and spent, it still didn't take long to have him half-hard again.
He started to shift out from under her, intent on having her again, but a loud pounding at his door stopped their progress. Tangled up in the sheets, he heaved a sigh. Nari chuckled and helped him get unwrapped.
The knocking grew louder.
"Dammit, Jess. I'm coming in. I know you're in there." His father's bellow came through loud and clear.
Jess slipped from the bed, wrapping the sheet around him. Nareen sat up, pulling the duvet over her naked form. Jantzen Gillian, House of Gillian consort, entered the room in all his regal glory.
He stopped and rolled his eyes. "You know this has to end soon, don't you?" He pinned Jess with a stern look. "In fact, it ends tonight. I'm announcing Jess's betrothal to Lavica Premier." He focused on Nareen. "You're my ward and I love you like a daughter, but you'll not be marrying my son." He turned to leave as if he didn't expect an argument.
He should know better.
Jess stalked to his father's side. "Uh-uh. No way. We've talked about this. I'm not getting married any time soon." He tightened his grip on the sheet. "It'll be my choice when I do."
Jantzen's face took on a red hue of anger. "You know why I want this match. I won't accept argument." He shot his gaze toward the bed. "You're lucky I've let this go on as long as I have."
Jess chafed at the constraints his father tried to put on him. "You don't have a say, Dad. Nari and I are grown. We can think for ourselves." Did they have to have this same conversation over and over?
Jantzen waved a hand. "You play at being lovers because you're bored."
Jess's temper snapped. "And why are we bored, Dad? Maybe because you keep us confined all the time? Only trot us out when you need us or let us travel for official events." On a roll, he plowed forward. "Why wouldn't we fall for each other? We've been at each other's sides for ten years. We know each other inside and out." He met Nari's gaze. "And guess what, Dad? We wouldn't have it any other way." Her wide smile confirmed her agreement.
Jantzen huffed out a harsh breath. "Since you're being unreasonable, I'll give you three days to get your head around the idea of your betrothal. Be prepared for the announcement." Not bothering to wait for a response, he exited the room.
Jess did a slow ten count to keep from following. Getting into a heated discussion wouldn't change his dad's mind. A cooler head might prevail … later.

I'm having a ton of fun putting some twists on the Sleeping Beauty trope. Jess and Nareen are very cool characters and interesting to get a handle on.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment