Sunday, February 14, 2021

Sunday Snippet: A Capsized Buccaneer

Happy Valentine's to those who celebrate. We're supposed to get blasted with more snow but I definitely won't gripe about it because I have family and friends in Texas that will no doubt have it so much worse.

Semi-busy week again with a new work project. Things are picking up a little and I'm grateful and happy to have work still coming in.

I started a new episode of Blue Heelers and have a feeling it's going to be an interesting one. I love getting slice of life glimpses into the town and how it operates.

I finished up the first part of Silent Witness's last two episodes of season eight. I'll be starting the second part this week. Then it's off to season nine.

Caught another episode of No Offence and I'm still liking the show. I'm not a big comedy fan, which is probably evident in my weekly recaps, but I will give dramedies a shot. Glad I stuck with this one.

New seasons are starting of shows I normally watch but I'm so far behind. I haven't been in the mood or the right headspace to really absorb some of them. Maybe I'll get there during the blizzard that's supposed to be headed our way.

I also caught my usual fare of mystery shows this week, but that's pretty much it for television. Tonight's post is from A Capsized Buccaneer, a novella that takes a few interesting twists and puts the main characters on a deserted island that isn't so deserted.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Kallen Bond, a star athlete certain to lead her team to a championship win, takes a much needed two-day excursion aboard a Bertelli luxury yacht before the big game. The Bertellis sabotage their ship to eliminate Kallen from the competition, but she's saved by Zeb, the family black sheep, and they end up stranded on a remote island with no way home.

And a preview snippet…

Both had certain notoriety so they had some common ground there. They didn't move in the same circles, but that didn't stop social media from making their names trend on occasion. She called her own shots, maybe he meant that.

Zeb rolled a shoulder. "You live by your own code. It's refreshing." He kicked his feet out and leaned against the crate. "Me? I've had a set foundation since birth; one that's hard to deviate from." He sent her a raised-eyebrow look. "And I'm the black sheep of the Bertellis. But even then, there's a standard I have to live up to. One not of my choosing." His lips twisted in a grimace.

Kallen kind of got what he meant. "I sort of get that. I have a ton of freedom, but I still had to meet requirements—like attending the glitzy function on the yacht." She shuddered. "I love interacting with fans, but the end of the season is such a grind, especially if we make the playoffs. I'm never at my best." Wincing, her shoulders slumped. "I sound horrible. I'm thankful for the sponsorships and endorsement opportunities … don't get me wrong. I'd rather not have to play dress-up and attend functions when I have a championship to prep for." That said, she did have an off season.

She couldn't imagine having a family name to worry about. Black sheep or not. She came from a solidly average background and her parents had been proud of her achievements. When they died in a multiple-vehicle accident right after she signed with the Buccaneers, she'd mourned them but moved on—just as they'd expect her to do. If nothing else, they'd ingrained practicality into her and gave her the support groundwork she'd need to survive on her own.

Even with the Bertelli bucketloads of money at his disposal, Zeb didn't seem to have had that kind of framework to fall back on.

She crawled over and straddled his thighs. "You know … there's a lot to be said for going your own way. But I get why you can't. At least not completely." She wriggled around, getting comfortable and getting a rise out of him as well.

He cupped her face. "I'd walk away with nothing but the yacht—which is, well, a moot point now—if I could." His thumb stroked her cheek. "I don't need the iron-clad prison being a Bertelli keeps me in most of the time." His lips ghosted along her jawline.

Kallen inched his shirt up. "Why do you stick around then?" Her fingers brushed over his torso.

He grabbed the back of the garment and tugged the tee over his head. "A promise I made to my mom long ago. As long as she's alive, I won't rock the boat too much." He huffed out a laugh. "No pun intended."

Kallen chuckled but sobered. "Why not go for the full-treatment vacation then? Be who you want while we're here?" She inched back and loosened the button on his pants. "And make the most of what we can?" She leaned in to capture his lips.

Zeb mumbled against her mouth. "Sounds like an excellent plan." He pushed her shirt up and cupped her breasts.

We definitely have this in common. Being stranded with him won't get boring.

This story is fun and challenging. I didn't intend to turn this into more than one book, but I have a feeling there's more to come from Kallen and Zeb.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment