Sunday, June 6, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Fundamental Basics (a Lantern Jack tale)

June 6, 2021

Well, hello, June. It's mind-boggling to think half the year is pretty much gone. I'm rather glad summer is just around the corner even though I'm not a huge fan of super-hot temperatures.

I've been in a weird place lately and pondering whether there's something else on my horizon. Lots of ideas are jostling in my brain. Stay tuned … I might have more to come on this topic.

Decent week of television this week. I started out with three episodes of The Muppet Show. Judy Collins, Nancy Walker, and Edger Bergen were the guest stars. Each episode ended up being pretty fun.

Caught another episode of The Hardy Boys. I'm enjoying the mystery and I really like the sibling interaction. It'll be interesting to see how deeply the grandmother is involved.

Watched another episode of Peak Practice. The show took turn I didn't expect, which I always enjoy.

Enjoyed another Master Class with David Carson. The fifth lesson focused on putting yourself into your work. I came away with some great ideas.

Caught another episode of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Once again, I ended up surprised by Zelda. Still not a huge fan, but I think I'll end up liking her character arc.

Watched the third installment of The Ready Room. Michelle Hurd is such a cool actor. I've enjoyed her in almost everything she's participated in.

Caught another Passionflix Quickie. Hooked ended up being a lot of fun. I loved having an older couple as the main characters.

Ended up watching a full two-parter of Silent Witness. Really liked the storylines and their outcomes even though both weren't optimal.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers. This one features a biker club and, so far, it's pretty decent.

Caught an episode of Chicago Med and liked the storylines. The reunion theme fit most of the scenes. The one confusing bit with the super-great surgeon maybe planted some seeds for future episodes. Not sure about that one.

Watched another episode of No Offence. I'm thoroughly enjoying the third series. Dinah and Viv are formidable and I love how Spike kind of slides in wherever he's needed. Good stuff.

Started a new arc of Classic Who. The second part of the key search isn't quite as interesting as the first, but I love K-9's interactions with everyone.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Fundamental Basics, a Lantern Jack tale featuring a sprite and a spook for the pumpkin to match up.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Lantern Jack is back to right another wrong. A sprite, Farin Frazier, is a social outcast who comes together with Qeb Quince, a spook who is questioning his undead existence. The two shouldn't be attracted to each other, they're mortal enemies, but they find some common ground on All Hallows, when magick is at its strongest.

And a preview snippet…

Qeb Quince answered his phone on the fourth ring, expecting yet another telemarketing call. When a live voice greeted him, he blinked in shock. "Um, hello, yes, this is Qeb."

"Mr. Quince, we'd like to hire you for a delivery to the ancient forest. Are you available?"

Qeb frowned. "A date would be nice." Who am I kidding? Not like my calendar is full.

The voice replied. "The delivery would be for October twenty-ninth to a Ms. Farin Frazier. The address is 5445 Dark Forest Lane."

Qeb cocked his head. "I'm not familiar with that area. Let me look it up to see if I can make the delivery." He pulled up his map app.

"A detailed map will be provided. The payment for the delivery will be five hundred dollars."

Qeb's mouth dropped open. "Is this illegal?" Did he care? Okay, yes, he did. But not enough to turn the job down.

The voice chuckled. "No, it's not. You won't get arrested for making the trip."

Qeb didn't hesitate. "I'll take the job. Where do I pick up this package?" He wrote the details down and promised to pick the item up the next day. "Five hundred dollars."

More than he earned in the bar—the only one he could work in because no one but other preternatural beings could see him. At least not easily. He worked three nights a week and pulled in one to two hundred bucks a night. Mainly as a bar back, hauling kegs and cases of alcohol up from a downstairs cooler and restocking mixes and glasses. He loved the physical labor but longed for something more engaging. He could join a fighting venue but smashing faces didn't rate high on his list of life goals to continue.

He snorted. "I'm not going to be one of those broken-down fighters who can't get out of the ring."

Then again, he might be one of those morons who never left the bar because he couldn't do anything else.

His gut clenched at the thought. "There's gotta be more out there for me." He couldn't be the only spook that felt that way.

But none of his friends seemed interested in being more than what they were. Why didn't they strive to test boundaries? Or look for new adventures?

Settling in for the evening, he shrugged. "At least I can look forward to spending some time in the forest." If he had to make a delivery, he might as well explore.

A new memory to add to his collection.

I love the Lantern Jack stories and hope to have a string of these ready to publish around October.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment