Sunday, May 30, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Fistful of Sorry

I hope everyone who has a long weekend gets to enjoy the time off. We're continuing to be low-key and not really doing much more than our usual food fest of pizza, burgers, brats, and sides. I've been trying to balance cleaning and sorting with writing and editing work.

Had a really solid week of television viewing. I started out with Peak Practice. I had to skip an episode because it's not available for streaming.

Caught another Master Class lesson about graphic design. This one featured using photography in design. Got a few great ideas to maybe use for covers and marketing material.

Ended up watching a full episode of Blue Heelers and started another. The tension and conflict seems to be amping up and I'm not sure I really like it. It's gone a little into soap territory, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's not what I expected.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina pulled a fast one and made me shift my opinion a little on Zelda. This is a good thing. I really didn't like her at all until she chose Sabrina and Hilda over the high priest. I kind of hope he dies in a fire. I'm also not loving the teacher. Again, it might be residual Doctor Who dislike bleeding over.

Caught an episode of the Ready Room. I like Wil's enthusiasm and he asks some great questions. Looking forward to the recap of episode three.

Watched a couple of Passionflix originals. A holiday Quickie, The Merry Mistake, entertained with a mistaken identity vibe. That finished up the holiday fare from this past year. I also got to watch the premiere of Wicked and thoroughly enjoyed! I'm looking forward to more paranormal romance adaptations.

Got another episode of Chicago Med in. This one ended up being a good viewing with lots going on but fairly equal storylines.

Caught the opener of the third season of No Offence. Man. A gut-wrenching episode. I love, love, love Dinah and Spike's friendship. I have a sneaky suspicion he'll be moving up and forming the third point of the trio now. I'm okay with that.

Finished up the tenth season of Silent Witness and should start series eleven this week. This is an episode I remembered watching but I'd forgotten how it played out. Ended up really loving it.

Started the sixteenth season of Classic Who. New companion, new K-9, new multiple arcs with a single thread. I think I'll like through line with four-part arcs.

Last but not least, I caught another episode of UFOs: The Lost Evidence. This one had a focus on police files. Pretty interesting.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Fistful of Sorry, a novella that has the main characters at odds but finally realizing they balance each other to perfection.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Orly Manx and Cal Luminity always approach situations from opposite angles, but usually end up on the same side. When Orly pushes a cadet too far during training, she apologizes to Cal for not following his advice. But Cal isn't interested in listening or quick to forgive, which drives a wedge between them and Orly realizes how much she needs Cal to play yin to her yang.

And a preview snippet…

Orly waited a full day to track Cal down again. When he answered her knock, he raised a brow but otherwise ignored her. Okay, he's still very pissed off.

She met his gaze and offered a simple apology. "I'm sorry." Best place to start, right?

Cal remained silent … for a long time. When he didn't acknowledge her apology, she didn't know what else to do. Dipping her chin, Orly turned to walk away.

Cal finally spoke. "You know what? You are. A very sorry excuse for a role model." He spun around and stalked into the living room. "But you never signed on to be one did you?" His scathing look should've left scorch marks on the floor between them.

Her shoulders slumped. Figured he'd go for the jugular, when a simple smack to the head would do. She wanted to run, but couldn't make her feet move. She needed to make him see her sincerity.

Or die trying.

She bit back a sigh. "No, I don't want to be a role model, but I accept that's part of the package." Moving into the room, she closed the door. "I'm trying to make amends and do what's right." What more did he want from her?

Cal snorted. "How? By coming in here with a fistful of sorry and expecting everything to be okay?" He flung a hand out. "Well, it's not right … or okay." He sank down on the sofa and shook his head.

Orly flinched a little. "It's a start." She settled across from him on the opposite end of the cough.

Cal exhaled slowly. "Yeah, but like I said, it's not enough."

She pushed back. "What will be enough?" He had to give her something to go on.

Cal shrugged. "I don't know. Willingness to change. Adapt to different needs?" He pinned her with his gaze. "An ability to assess the best way to bring out the talent of someone different."

The light-bulb went on in her mind. "Like you do with me?" How the hell had she missed that? "Crap, Cal. I just realized you bust me down and build me up all the time. You take me to task, tear into me, then when that doesn't work, you change your approach." She huffed out a breath. "At least a little, until I wrap my head around something. That's what I need to do, isn't it?"

Cal agreed. "It would probably help."

Orly sank back against the cushions. "Why do you put up with me?" She closed her eyes.

Cal snorted. "I asked myself that question before you came in."

Orly worried her lower lip. "What was the answer?"

Cal lifted a shoulder. "I didn't have one. In fact, I decided I needed some distance to figure it out."

Orly sat forward. "Please don't walk away, Cal. We're good together." The absolute best, in fact.

Cal arched a brow. "Don't you mean I'm good for you?"

She deflated a little. He made a valid point.

Cal straightened. "Hey, I'm not serious, Orly. Part of the reason I wanted distance is because—as you pointed out—I'm too close to Benson's situation. And if I don't have you to pull my head out my ass, I might suffocate."

She laughed and relaxed.

Cal grew serious. "The thing is, I can't get a handle on whether Benson really wanted to die or if he called for help with the attempt."

Orly jerked with reaction. "Help. It was a call for help." Her gut instinct didn't waver on that idea.

Cal arched an eyebrow. "You're certain, are you?"

Orly nodded. "Fairly." She explained about her parting words to Benson during the last class. "I'm certain his attempt took balls and what he couldn't speak he demonstrated."

Cal exhaled on a long breath. "It's not going to be easy for him to come back from his actions." Concern marred his face.

Conviction filled her. "Then I'll help him." For as long as it took.

Orly has a double challenge to meet with getting Benson back on track and showing Cal she wants to work with him instead of against him.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment