Sunday, May 2, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Fan the Flames

Hello, May! I'll be honest, I had a momentary freak out when I realized we're a month away from being halfway done with the year. It's so weird how time seems to fly by so fast but it also drags on for what seems like decades. Geez.

Had an okay week of television. I started a new to me show The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which I enjoyed. It's pretty creepy and I'm intrigued enough to keep watching.

Watched the penultimate episode of Picard. It went in a direction I didn't expect and I'm not quite sure how I feel about where things are at the moment. I'm looking forward to the finale.

Caught another Passionflix holiday Quickie. Sexy Scrooge ended up being pretty good. I liked the couple's chemistry and the Uber driver was fun.

Started another new episode of Blue Heelers. I'm almost finished with this one and I'm interested to see where things go. They're starting something of a serialized continuation and I'm down with that.

Watched Chicago Med and enjoyed it. I'm four episodes in and I'm getting a better feel for who the cast is. It's helpful to have some experience with the Chicago crossovers.

Caught another episode of No Offence. Things are moving along at a good clip and I'm pretty interested in seeing where the new boss lands where Viv is concerned. I kind of love the feud between Nora and Viv.

Started the first part of Silent Witness. This one is very twisty and I can't wait to see if I'm right about who the killers are.

Watched another arc of Classic Who. I'm kind of amazed at how a show from thirty years ago manages to kind of hit on things that are happening right now.

Ended up getting in another episode of UFOs: The Lost Evidence. This one featured segments on death-bed confessions from government officials and military people.

Also managed to finish the first season of The Muppet Show and I'm getting ready to start the second. First guest star is Don Knotts, which should make for a fun show.

That's it for the weekly update. Tonight's post is from Fan the Flames, a novella that features a cupid bringing a couple together.

Here's the mini-blurb:

A modern day cupid discovers a couple with matching auras and thinks he'll have an easy time matching them up. Right ... not so much. While Jamie and Alix definitely have the hots for each other, one big obstacle stands in their way—Jamie's job.

And a preview snippet…

"Sorry I'm late, Joe."

Joe handed Jamie a folder with the presentation schedule. "No problem. They're waiting for you, go on in." He clapped Jamie on the back.

Jamie did a quick scan of the designers listed in the file on the way to his seat. The chief shot him a brief glance of disapproval, but didn't bust Jamie's chops. No doubt the man had read the after action reports. Settling back, Jamie half-listened while the introductions were made, his eyes drawn again to the file. Alixandra Golden, currently with Gung Ho designs, rang a bell. He shifted slightly and took a long drink from his coffee mug. Gung Ho, a catchy play on the owner's last name, specialized in residential design. And Jamie remembered why Alixandra seemed familiar. He'd toured one of the holiday homes she designed. A sugary confection of gingerbread Victoriana that made him want to heave before he'd hit the second floor. Strictly speaking, she'd remained true to the period, capturing the flair of Victorian flounces with a mix of antique originals and beautifully crafted reproductions. Why anyone would want to live among so much frou-frou lace and floral prints, he'd never understand. The whole house reminded him of the Candy-land board game he'd played as a kid.

And she wanted to do the interior of the fire station's residential area? No effing way. Not if he had anything to say about the subject.

She took her spot at the center of the room and brought out her design boards, propping them on the easel, the top one facing away from her audience. Doing a slow five count to focus her thoughts, she smiled and opened her mouth to start her presentation.

Jamie rolled his eyes. "Is the reason you have your design boards facing away because you're going to dazzle us with pink, frilly concoctions and an explosion of chintz fabric?"

The banter in this story is so much fun to write. Joe starts out being very grumpy but he changes his tune in a big hurry.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment