Sunday, April 25, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Events in Motion

Weird weather week with sun followed by a huge middle finger FU from Mother Nature with snow and rain. At least I got a lot of stuff done around the house and had time to get a good bit of writing in also.

Decent week for television. I caught another episode of Picard and thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved getting some additional background on Chris. I'm honestly not completely sure how I feel about the Romulans but I love the intrigue of everything that's going on.

Watched another episode of Chicago Med and also loved getting more background about Rhodes. I'm a fan of the actor and I'm a total sucker for characters who have dad issues.

Since it snowed this week, I watched a Passionflix holiday Quickie. A Holiday Lift ended up being pretty fun. I love the whole stuck in an elevator trope.

Ended up watching a complete episode of Blue Heelers and started another one. I love stumbling across actors who got their start on this show. A favorite from City Homicide guest starred in one of the episodes.

Finished up the second part of Silent Witness and it went in a direction I didn't expect. I love it when shows do that.

Caught another episode of No Offence. Again, the show went in a direction I completely didn't expect it to go in. Excellent stuff!

Watched a full arc of Classic Who. I ended up getting annoyed with Four again. Sometimes he's just a bit too full of himself.

Enjoyed another episode of UFOs: The Lost Evidence. This one focused on possible earth landings and linked several ancient cultures to the mythology. Very fun episode.

Caught two more episodes of The Muppet Show. I'm almost finished with the first season and really enjoyed Ethel Merman's stint as a guest star.

Last, but not least, I watched another episode of Peak Practice. I'm not quite finished with it yet but it's going to have a sad ending so I'm putting it off. LOL

That's it for life and television updates this week. Tonight's post is from Events in Motion, a novella where the main characters are on a path designed by fate and they're not sure they want to be there.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Fate has a plan for Drury, one she's not all that certain she wants to follow. Porter doesn't believe in destiny, but when Drury sets a chain of events in motion, he has to change his perspective or risk losing her to chance.

And a preview snippet…

Porter ducked out of the grotto. "Meditation, bah!" Why the hell did Dru think she had to commune with whatever the hell she thought existed out there?

He strode down the sidewalk with his hands clenched into fists.

"You're an idiot, Porter Magda."

He whirled to find the oracle, Gwyn Beecha, gliding toward him.

Moving off the walkway, he braced his shoulders against a mighty oak. "Thanks for the observation, Gwyn. Wanna share what I did wrong this time?" He couldn't wait to get another verbal bitchslap from someone.

"You don't help her."

He assumed the her to be Dru. "I've been there for her. The safe port in the storm when she wrecks her life. What more do you want?" He closed his eyes.

Gwyn tsked. "Such a burden. But hers is bigger. You know that somewhere deep inside you."

Gah! He hated the soothsayer bullshit. Even when a kernel of truth existed in her words.

He lowered his chin. "I know she needs someone and I'm it. The rest … I don't care about." The whole destiny from on high mumbo-jumbo did not impress him. "Or believe in."

Gwyn lifted a shoulder in a delicate move. "Believe in destiny or don't, but you have to have faith in something." She pinned him with a hard stare.

Damn, he hated Gwyn's all-seeing gaze. "I have faith in Dru. Always have. Always will." The otherworldly stuff he could do without.

Gwyn narrowed her gaze. "Do you love her?"

He didn't hesitate. "Yes." He did, pretty much more than anything.

Gwyn lifted her chin. "Then you have to give your full support. No matter what. If you don't, Porter, we'll all lose her. I can't underscore this enough." She put her hand on his arm. "Get out of your own way and do what needs to be done."

With those final words, she turned and slowly glided away.

Porter started after her. "What the hell has she seen?" Didn't matter … he obviously needed to do more.

Too bad he didn't know exactly what.

And maybe that's the whole point.

When I plotted this one out I ended up having additional ideas for how things should play out. There will two more installments of Dru and Porter's story.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment