Sunday, April 4, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Elemental Healing (a Lantern Jack tale)

Happy Easter to those who celebrate. We're having a low-key day without a lot of fanfare. That's exactly the way I like to celebrate holidays and my middle kiddo had his gallbladder removed earlier this week so being kind of quiet is a good thing.

Had a decent week of television viewing. My work schedule is still sporadic and I've been able to catch up on a few more writing projects. I'm also taking some time to organize my works in progress and then I hope to plan out a tentative schedule to finish up the ones that are close to being done.

I started a new episode of Blue Heelers and, so far, it's pretty good. I'm a little confused about the new character being in uniform but hopefully that will resolve itself by the end of the episode.

Watched the first episode of No Offence's second season. Really nice setup for the overarching storyline. I really love Viv and Dinah's dynamic. This show is so excellent.

Caught the opening episodes of the tenth season of Silent Witness. Really liked the first two-parter. I've started the third episode and I think it's going to be a twisty one.

Watched the final arc of Doctor Who's fourteenth season. Pretty solid storyline and I'm starting to like the dynamic between Four and Leela. I like her.

I ended up with a free six-month trial of Discovery+ so I started a show called UFOs: The Lost Evidence. I love diving into theories of visitors from outer space.

Watched two more episodes of The Muppet Show. Both were very funny. I've discovered I really enjoy the ballroom dance segments. Considering I'm not a huge comedy fan, this is high praise.

And that's pretty much it for this week's update. Tonight's post is from Elemental Healing, a Lantern Jack sexy short.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Lantern Jack is back to right another wrong. Erica Ellis is a fire demon whose powers are going out of control. She needs intervention and an ancient ritual could save her from harming others. Perth Pettigrew is a mystic knight and knows the old rites. Too bad he's no longer using his gift. It's up to Lantern Jack to bring the two together for some elemental healing.

And a preview snippet…

Perth finally slowed down several blocks away from the beautiful fire demon. "Nice I can still sense the type." He'd learned early on how to tell one kind of fae from another.

He'd thought the ability had gone into a deep slumber. Five years. Half a decade since he'd used his training in the mystical healing arts.

"Not since Alisa died."

Died, right. Killed helping a demon in the underground movement.

"We were brash and arrogant, thinking we could help demons on the down low." He climbed the stairs to his home. "Not worth it."

Letting himself into the loft he used to share with Alisa, he tossed his keys on the counter. The room spun a little, his adrenaline waning.

"Figures. That's what I get for using my power after being dormant for five years." And it would be the last time.

If he didn't perform the rejuvenation ritual on All Hallows, he'd lose the ability to do more than spiritual healing; not that he'd done much lately.

"How can I, when my spirit is broken?" The image of the red-hot fire demon flickered in his brain.

Nope. He wouldn't get involved. He'd made his decision. No more pushing the envelope. Time to get out. Her inner conflict all but oozed out of her. She lacked skill and her power frightened her.

"Damn, she looked terrified." His lips quirked. "And pissed." He sobered.

An angry fire demon with no control didn't bode well. He discounted his concern. "She has the whiskey." No doubt she used the alcohol to curb her impulses.

Perth had seen the tactic work before.

"Too bad it won't help her for long." The power flowing through her rivaled anything he'd previously worked with. "She's dangerous." But beautiful.

Like Alisa had been. He picked up a photo of her smiling and happy. "Time to put these away." He found a box and packed the images of his former life inside.

He didn't need them anymore. He no longer had that life. He'd soon start on a different path.

Placing the last picture in the container, he traced his fingers over the glass. "Time to say good-bye, long past time." The only thing left would be to let his mystic powers wane.

I like writing Perth and his conflict and reluctance to get involved with a fire demon. The Lantern Jack stories are so much fun to write.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment