Sunday, March 28, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Dawn of the Son

It's been a weird week but also a productive one. I can't quite believe March is almost over. My middle kid has gallbladder surgery on Tuesday and my youngest kid has a long weekend coming up and I'm kind of excited to have everyone home.

Very slow work week so I got to focus on writing again. Made a lot of progress on the back end with a good bit or organizing and updating files. I got some new projects launched and made a big dent in some older ones that have been on the back burner. It's always nice to feel productive.

Also got some cleaning done, which is terrific and long overdue. I've been setting a timer and sticking with one area for that timeframe. Seems to be working well so far. I pick a room, set the limit, and get busy. Makes the job seem less daunting.

On the television front, I got three arcs of Classic Who watched this week. I'm almost finished with season fourteen and I miss Sarah Jane but Leela is pretty fun. I don't think I've seen any Leela episodes so it's kind of fun to see new fare.

I also watched several more episodes of The Muppet Show. I'm about halfway through the first season and other than remembering how annoying Miss Piggy's karate chops are I'm having great memories.

Caught the second part of Silent Witness and finished out the ninth season. I'll be starting ten this week.

Got another episode of Peak Practice in and should have one more for the second season then ready to start the third. I'm not sure how long Jack and Beth will be sticking around but I'm really enjoying this show.

I also got to catch an episode of Murdoch Mysteries. I'm behind on the new season, but I like to binge this show so I'll get caught up soon.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Dawn of the Son, a novella that got started with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Apollo and Aurora aren't supposed to get together, but the Universe has other ideas. When everything starts to go sideways, two mortals personify the ancient deities and balance is restored.

And a preview snippet…

Aurora entered Apollo's grotto and propped a shoulder on the marble column. "The oracle said it's time." She moved forward, coming to a stop beside the love of her life—a man she couldn't have.

Apollo reached out and drew her forward. "Pythia found them. The two who can fulfill the prophecy." He only held her for a moment; otherwise, she'd start to dissipate.

The curse of belonging to a different pantheon. She only had brief windows of opportunity to see and converse with Apollo, something that drove both mad.

Rules are rules—even when they're stupid.

Apollo's lips curved. "Railing at the forced limitations doesn't make them go away and cuts into the brief time we have together." He withdrew a scroll and spread it open. "Pythia provided me with this…" He waved his hand over the parchment.

A couple appeared, their life unfolding on the page. Aleina Foyle and Alston Saddington fought their way through a war that ravaged their planet. Now they were part of the leading force that had to convince the population to leave their homes and take to the stars. The warfare decimated their home to the point it wouldn't recover.

Aurora tilted her head. "She's magnificent." Aleina had strength and faith that did little to curb her headstrong ways. "Has Pythia started planting the seeds yet?"

Apollo nodded. "With waking dreams and nightscape visions. It's going to take a toll on Aleina." He frowned, his poet's heart battling with his hunter's mind.

Aurora turned her attention to Alston. "He's an enigma. He doesn't believe in the pantheon but he has a wellspring of fortitude and a moral fiber that runs strong." She met Apollo's gaze. "Will he accept his role for what needs to be done to save humanity?" If he didn't, she'd have a very long wait to be with her love.

Apollo studied the scroll. "For her, yes. He'll resist and fight the current, but the prophecy indicates he'll carry through." He waved his hand over the vision and the parchment returned to normal.

Aurora sighed. "I wish I could be there when you bring Aleina over. It's not fair, these tiny openings in the veil never last long enough." Already, the pull to return to her side tugged at her.

Apollo gathered her close. "Patience, my love. We'll be together soon." He meshed his lips with hers, taking the kiss long and deep.

The moment ended when Pythia entered the grotto. "My dears, time is short. Aurora must return to her side or humanity's fate will come to an end." The oracle stood vigil over the rift in the veil. "The mists swirl and her path will obscure soon."

Aurora sent Pythia a grateful smile. "Thank you. For everything." Pythia's role in bringing the prophecy to light would always endear her to Aurora.

Taking one last lingering look at Apollo, Aurora made her way out of his grotto and slipped through the mists to her side of the veil. The plot set, the pieces in motion, she hoped the oracle's vision for saving humanity held true.

The goddess of the dawn would soon be chasing the moon away and seeking her light, the god of the sun. Aurora had the power to intervene and give humanity its last chance to get things right. But she'd need her poet hunter to balance the universe. Aleina had the strength to carry the burden of bringing the people together. Alston had the right mix of military bearing and political savvy to keep them on the path.

And the triggering event would take place soon to bring Aurora and Apollo together on the mortal coil.

What started out as a single standalone title has morphed into a trilogy. I'm not how that happened, but I'm running with it.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment